Mole Removal with Facial Hair?

I have a small flat, brown mole in my jawline. I also have facial hair growing in this area. Can this be removed without leaving a very noticeable scar being that facial hair will not grow in that area after? And how should it be removed?

Hair needs excision

+2

A mole that grows hair needs total excision if you want to get rid of the hair because the hair roots are deep.

Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Facial moles with hair can be easily removed without an ugly scar.

+1

Facial moles that are excised under local anesthesia heal quite well and with almost no major noticable scar for around $250-350 each.  It is so worth it.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best way to remove moles

+1

I would agree with Dr Altman.  I would recommend that your mole be excised, which would leave a hairline scar slightly longer than the mole itself.  It is difficult to perform a shave excision on flat lesions and this does not remove them completely for histological analysis.  The scar will be red and obvious for a few months and then will fade.  It will not have hair growing from the scar, but there will be hair on either side of it, so you will be able to grow a beard.  I would hope that the scar will not be too noticeable in the future, but it is up to you as to  how much the mole bothers you, to decide if it is worth trading it in for a scar.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Best Ways to Remove Moles

+1

The good news is that typically when I remove facial nevi (moles) I will usually use a "shave excision" method. The mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. This method is quite effective to remove moles and leaves a minimal scar. No hair is removed or destroyed. The procedure typically takes less than a minute, and is fairly painless. Moles that are removed in this fashion will rarely recur enough to be bothersome. If they do, they can always be excised and sutured at that time, but this rarely happens. I have been doing these procedures for over twenty-five years with consistently good results.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal in beard area

+1

When a mole is removed, it needs to be removed in its entirety, in this case a small excision or punch, closed with sutures.  Shaving a mole off the surface of the skin does not remove it completely, and it does not give the pathologist a chance to examine the entire mole for any abnormalities.  Plus if a mole is removed incompletely, it can recur.

There will be a small linear scar after an excision.  You need to be careful not to shave over the area while the sutures are still in.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon