What Causes the Mold Found in Saline Implants?

I have heard several ladies say that they had been sick due to the mold exposure found on, or in the saline implants. Is this due to the ps not using sterile water? What causes this, and how can I prevent this?

Mold and implants

+1

I have never seen mold in any implant removal that I have performed or any infection that I have treated.  But it has been reported.

+1

No one knows for sure but the hypothesis is that it comes from the air when implants are placed or filled and therefore closed systems are recommended to decrease this potential source

Cases of Mold found in Breast Implants

+1

Regarding :''I have heard several ladies say that they had been sick due to the mold exposure found on, or in the saline implants. Is this due to the ps not using sterile water? What causes this, and how can I prevent this?" 

Your question refers to press blitz from a few years ago. Never since repeated. There has been a surgeon in the Atlanta area who made it a cause celebre but whose experienced has NOT been matched by any other Plastic surgeon I know.

In all my years of plastic Surgery I have never seen nor heard of a single patient that I operated on or who my friends or colleagues operated on who grew mold in their breast implants. This experience covers thousands of women.

Think about it. for mold to grow it needs oxygen and nutrition (IE sugar). The vast majority fill saline implants with closed systems not open to air. Even IF a mold on the ceiling of the OR happened to enter into the STERILE salt water (IE Saline) that was injected into the implant, WHAT would this mold live on? In a short while there will NOT be a level of oxygen in the salt water that would sustain life and Saline does not contain sugar. So HOW can anything grow inside saline breast implants? If it does, it is a rare occurrence.

Sometimes notoriety is good for business.

Mold in Saline Implants?

+1

To be honest, I have never encountered mold on or in an implant that has been removed from a patient, even ones that have been inside for over 20 years.  I am not sure how this would even happen, and I doubt the claims of women who say that they were made sick from such a thing.  This would imply that somehow they got mold into their system, or it was put into the implant itself.  Everyone uses sterile saline in the implants ( or should be), so it should not be able to grow any mold out of it or the implants themselves.  I always caution people to be careful with what they hear and/or read about diseases related to the implants.  There are so many myths out there that it can be hard to know what is real and what is not.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon