Mini Tummy Tuck for a Few Inches of Loose Skin?

My only concern is the very loose skin over my c-section scar, like 3 1/2 to 4 inches of wrinkly skin that I can grab between my fingers, and of course the stretch marks but I wouldn't like to carry a full tummy tuck scar for the rest of my life.

Will a mini tummy tuck be enough for me?

A Modified Mini might be best

+3

You do not appear to have much loose skin, but you do appear to have laxity of the muscles. We can use a shorter incision. cut across the base of the umbilicus, tighten the muscles all the way to the ribs. and resuture the umbilicus. You will avoid the scar around the umbilicus and have a shorter scar. I prefer this technique if I cannot excise all of the skin from the top of the pubic hair to the umbilicus.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

The difference between a mini-tummy tuck and full tummy tuck is the amount of vertical skin removed

+3

The lengths of the incisions from side to side (or hip bone to hip bone) would be comparable for your problem as seen in your photograph. Both would run above the pubic bone level horizontally. The amount of loosening from the pubic area above this area determines full versus mini-tummy tuck.

Mini-tummy tucks do not loosen the tissue above the belly button and, therefore, remove less tissue than a full abdominoplasty. Full abdominoplasties loosen the abdominal skin higher than the belly button, allowing removal of more skin, producing more tightening, and also permitting horizontal tightening of the abdominal muscles.

Based on your photograph, these additional advantages should be something you consider for the full tummy tuck. The mini tummy tuck may be a shorter duration procedure with less cost, but it will not produce the improvements of a full abdominoplasty. A one on one consultation with examination by a board certified plastic surgeon is necessary to help you make your choice. Good luck!

David N. Hing, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck?

+2

A mini tummy tuck can be very useful for the type of problem you have. The amount of skin removed is directly related to the length of the scar. A mini tummy tuck can correct muscle wall laxity and remove loose skin over the C-section scar, but the amount of skin that can be removed is best determined by a surgeon who has extensive experience with this procedure. An in-person consultation can give you a realistic expectation of the amount of correction.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

The mini tummy tuck is ideal for patients that have loose skin below the umbilicus and have no diastasis rectis and have had a child. It does not correct any excess skin above the umbilicus. The incision is shorter.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Mini tummy tuck expectations

+2

A mini tummy tuck is designed to address the low skin in the lower abdomen.  You sound like a good candidate and I would recommend it.  The only caution is the position of you belly button is relatively low.  A low belly button can look even lower after a mini tummy tuck and limit the results.

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

+2

Yes, that is a reasonable option for you.  The stretch marks beyond the area to be removed will obviously remain.  You can get muscle tightening all the way up with an endoscopic component.  The big key is this: will you be happy with the amount of laxity that remains after the mini tummy tuck.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

Mini Tummy Tucks are for those who have some excess skin in the area between the belly button and the pubis.  It does not "move" tissue around the belly button.  In the right candidate it can be very effective.  Always best to see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and explain what you want.  He/She will see if you are a candidate, and make a plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mini-tummy tuck is great!

+2

A mini-tummy tuck will remove the excess overhang and excess skin below the umbilicus. It will also tighten the muscle up to the ribcage. Liposuction as part of the procedure can maximize the beauty of your contour. Be careful with the umbilical float described below.

For patients with a high belly button (higher than a line drawn between the top of both hip bones) the float allows us to remove a small amount of tissue above the umbilicus without making the belly button scar. But if you have a normal height belly button like yours, then the belly button may become too low.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+2

The full tummy tuck scar is a little longer, but it removes a lot more skin. Most patients (~80%) are very happy with the full tummy tuck because it meets their expectation as to the amount of stretch-mark removal and tightening of the muscle layer. I think many patients are disappointed with the mini-tummy tuck because they want a small scar, full tightening of the muscle layer and most of the stretch-marks removed and that's just not possible with a mini tummy tuck.

I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
They have formal training in abdominoplasty surgery and will probably give you the same advice.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini-tuck and full-tuck have the same length incision.

+2

Don't fool yourself into thinking that a mini-tuck has any smaller incision. The incision lengths are generally the same. Based on your picture, you need a full tummy tuck combined with flank liposuction to achieve the best results. It would be a shame to go through all the recovery and surgery for a mini-tuck and have inferior results. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD