Mini Tummy Tuck for a Few Inches of Loose Skin?

My only concern is the very loose skin over my c-section scar, like 3 1/2 to 4 inches of wrinkly skin that I can grab between my fingers, and of course the stretch marks but I wouldn't like to carry a full tummy tuck scar for the rest of my life.

Will a mini tummy tuck be enough for me?

The difference between a mini-tummy tuck and full tummy tuck is the amount of vertical skin removed

The lengths of the incisions from side to side (or hip bone to hip bone) would be comparable for your problem as seen in your photograph. Both would run above the pubic bone level horizontally. The amount of loosening from the pubic area above this area determines full versus mini-tummy tuck.

Mini-tummy tucks do not loosen the tissue above the belly button and, therefore, remove less tissue than a full abdominoplasty. Full abdominoplasties loosen the abdominal skin higher than the belly button, allowing removal of more skin, producing more tightening, and also permitting horizontal tightening of the abdominal muscles.

Based on your photograph, these additional advantages should be something you consider for the full tummy tuck. The mini tummy tuck may be a shorter duration procedure with less cost, but it will not produce the improvements of a full abdominoplasty. A one on one consultation with examination by a board certified plastic surgeon is necessary to help you make your choice. Good luck!

Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

A Modified Mini might be best

You do not appear to have much loose skin, but you do appear to have laxity of the muscles. We can use a shorter incision. cut across the base of the umbilicus, tighten the muscles all the way to the ribs. and resuture the umbilicus. You will avoid the scar around the umbilicus and have a shorter scar. I prefer this technique if I cannot excise all of the skin from the top of the pubic hair to the umbilicus.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck expectations

A mini tummy tuck is designed to address the low skin in the lower abdomen.  You sound like a good candidate and I would recommend it.  The only caution is the position of you belly button is relatively low.  A low belly button can look even lower after a mini tummy tuck and limit the results.

Mini tummy tuck

Yes, that is a reasonable option for you.  The stretch marks beyond the area to be removed will obviously remain.  You can get muscle tightening all the way up with an endoscopic component.  The big key is this: will you be happy with the amount of laxity that remains after the mini tummy tuck.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck

Mini Tummy Tucks are for those who have some excess skin in the area between the belly button and the pubis.  It does not "move" tissue around the belly button.  In the right candidate it can be very effective.  Always best to see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and explain what you want.  He/She will see if you are a candidate, and make a plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mini-tummy tuck is great!

A mini-tummy tuck will remove the excess overhang and excess skin below the umbilicus. It will also tighten the muscle up to the ribcage. Liposuction as part of the procedure can maximize the beauty of your contour. Be careful with the umbilical float described below.

For patients with a high belly button (higher than a line drawn between the top of both hip bones) the float allows us to remove a small amount of tissue above the umbilicus without making the belly button scar. But if you have a normal height belly button like yours, then the belly button may become too low.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

The full tummy tuck scar is a little longer, but it removes a lot more skin. Most patients (~80%) are very happy with the full tummy tuck because it meets their expectation as to the amount of stretch-mark removal and tightening of the muscle layer. I think many patients are disappointed with the mini-tummy tuck because they want a small scar, full tightening of the muscle layer and most of the stretch-marks removed and that's just not possible with a mini tummy tuck.

I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
They have formal training in abdominoplasty surgery and will probably give you the same advice.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Consider combined Lux IR Deep and Starlux 1540

As the doctor above stated, a mini tummy tuck will leave behind not only a scar, but many stretch marks.

You do not have enough skin for a full abdominoplasty to remove all of the stretch marks.

There is a new combined therapy using the Palomar LuxIR Deep and the Starlux 1540 laser which can remove stretch marks and tighten the abdominal skin. If fat removal is needed new laser lipo with SlimLipo also tightens skin.

These options avoid the scarring which concerns you.

These are very new techniques so you will have to do some research to find them.

Depends on how long C-section scar is

On exam, your surgeon (hopefully you are going to go to a ASPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon), will be able to tell you if he/she can keep within your C-section scar. It look like most of your strecth marks are below your belly button which makes it easier to give you a good result.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Andrew Y. Kleinman, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck is better

You have stretch marks above the belly button and also you have muscle separation above the belly button. With mini tuck you will get mini result and if you are OK with taht then mini tuck will be ok. You need to discuss your concrns with your plastic surgeon and make sure to get more than one consultation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon