Mini Face-Lift Risks for Type 1 Diabetics?

I recently had a CS consultation for a mini-face lift & he said that it doesn't matter that I have Type 1 Diabetes, that it doesn't increase my risk factor. Is that an accurate statement?

Type 1 Diabetes Needs Good Control

+2

As you know, Diabetes must be well controlled to minimize risks with any surgical procedure. 

If you have been controlling your Type 1 Diabetes carefully, your risk of problems with a Mini Lift are small.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mini Lift for a Diabetic

+1

Patients with Type 1 Diabetes can have a Mini Lift as long as their blood sugars are under control in both the pre and post operative periods. In fact the stress from surgery can elevate blood sugars and it is important that all the doctors involved in a diabetics surgery work together to make for smooth sailing.

Take care,

Dr. J

Kamran Jafri, MD

Mini facelift in type I diabetic

+1

Even though type 1 diabetes is not a contraindication to most surgical procedures, it is important to make sure that the blood sugar is under control. With clearance from the primary care physician, or endocrinologist, and adequate blood sugar control, mini facelift, or facelift surgery could be done pretty safely. 

I have noticed that some patients with diabetes may heal slower than the nondiabetics and that postsurgical swelling may stay in those patients a bit longer. However, after the swelling have subsided, they still heal very well and they can have very satisfactory improvement from facial rejuvenation surgery.

Sincerely,

Boris Volshteyn M.D., M.S.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Candidacy With Type I Diabetes

+1

I don't think that statement is entirely accurately. However, type I diabetes should not necessarily preclude you from having a mini lift. Elevated blood sugar levels from uncontrolled or poorly controlled diabetes can negatively impact wound healing. Therefore, it is important that you be evaluated by your primary care doctor or endocrinologist to ensure that your blood sugar levels have been within a normal range. As long as this is the case, it is unlikely that you will have any more risk with the operation than someone without diabetes. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes and Lifting

+1

Diabetes, if well controlled, by your primary care doctor may not impact your final result.  However, uncontrolled diabetes is a contraindication for any surgical procedure.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-lift and diabetes

+1

If your diabetes is well controlled and you obtaine medical clearance from your primary care phjysician, then it should be OK to have a mini-facelift procedure.

Diabetes and face lift

+1

Diabetes increases your risk, include infection, healing problems, wide swings in blood sugar levels. small vessel disease

Mini face lift does not mean a minor skin lift, it can involve a major skin undermining, determined by the deformity.

To decrease you risks make sure your diabetes is well under control, with normal blood sugar levels NEVER ABOVE 200.

have a complete evaluation by your family physician and your endocrinologist. Tell them of your intention. I personally talk with the physicians and discuss how we can make the surgery as safe as possible. Then I would consider doing the surgery.

Controlled diabetes is not a contraindication to surgery. Understand the potential risks and work with your doctors to minimize them.

Increased risk of infection and wound healing complications

+1

Greetings,

As with any procedure, there are risks to facelifts and mini-facelifts. Patients with diabetes in general run an increased risk of infection and wound healing complications whenever they undergo any procedure. Having said this though, I have done many facelift procedures on diabetic patients (both type I and type II). As long as your diabetes is under control and you monitor your blood sugars closely during the postoperative period there is a high likelihood you will have no problems at all.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Lift okay if diabetes is kept under control

+1

A "mini face lift" is usually done with minimal skin undermining. If the diabetes is kept under good control, there is a high likelihood things should heal well. We do mini-lifts and regular face lifts (with a more limited undermining of the skin) on diabetics as long as their health is otherwise good and the blood sugar is keep in excellent control.

Extensive skin undermining would require the skin to have very healthy tiny blood vessels. These are damaged in "out of control" diabetes and eventually, to some extent, even when diabetes is well controlled over a period of many years. So, it is best not to expect an extensive re-draping of saggy skin when someone has a bad case of diabetes.

Diabetes and smoking limits how much we can accomplish for our patients and it does challenge the healing process. But, it does not mean a conservative procedure cannot be done. It increases the likelihood of healing problems in SOME cases.

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon