Microdermabrasion for Pores on Oily Skin?

I am 20 and have oily skin. For the last few years, I've noticed these pores appearing on my cheeks. They look bad.

I want to get rid of them. What should I do? Would Microdermabrasion treatment help? I am scared of doing anything that might result in some kind of reaction, making it worse rather than help!

Microdermabrasion great for oily skin

+1
Microdermabrasion deep cleans but does not shrink pores. This is great for someone in their 20's and helps prevent outbreaks.
On the other hand, TCA peels like the Obagi Blue peel, and lasers like the Sciton SkinTyte or BBL "forever young"and other IPL lasers do shrink pore size. See link for more information

Cleaning out skin pores

+1

Microdermabrasion does not help oily skin since the problem are the oil glands located much deeper in the skin,  and it is only slightly effective at improving the look of pores.  It does however give a more brightening and youthful appearance to the skin.  Its benefits last only about 1-2 weeks.  Pores look a little smaller when they are cleaned out, if that is the problem.  For clogged pores, I recommend Obagi Nu-derm foaming gel, morning and night.  It works so much better than regular soap. 

Joseph Rabson, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion

+1

A microdermabrasion will help smooth your skin out. As far as pores go we can not actually shrink pores, however you can help your pores look better by doing treatments such as microderm or maybe a series of light chemical peels such as a gylcolic acid or salicylic acid.

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon