Is It Ok to Have a Microdemabrasion Done After IPL and How Long Should I Wait?

I had an IPL tratment done to treat hyperpigmentation. Is been 4 days and the dark spots had gotten darker down time has been too long. Procedure was painful. Some parts of my face still sensitive. No blisters .. just a little redness and small swelling the first 2 days.But better today I'm medium beige skin tone, I'm schedule to have another one done in 3 weeks but i dont think I'm going to. How long before i can get a microdemabrasion done?

Microdermabrasion after IPL? When?

+2

The results you describe of dark spots getting darker and redness after IPL treatment are typical. Some swelling is not atypical either. It may be surprising to you because you did not expect it. Be patient with your recovery and you should see a good response.

Since you have a tendency to hyperpigment, I would advice against overly aggressive or stimulating treatments, so as to avoid worsening or additional pigmentary changes. A measured approach is best.

If you choose to proceed with microdermabrasion, I would wait at least four weeks.

IPL and microdermabrasion

+1

You can have microdermabrasion in a few more weeks when your skin has fully recovered from your IPL treatment.  You had a good response to the IPL treatment, but be sure to avoid the sun which can cause darkening of the pigment again.  See your physician for follow-up advice.  You may also need to use a fading cream.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Post IPL Treatment Recommendations...

+1

The slight swelling and darkening of the treated area is normal.  Depending on the intensity of the settings, a typical  "downtime" is about 1 week.  It is good to get Medical Facials/ Microdermabrasion 10 to 14 days, at the earliest,  post IPL!  Multiple treatments of IPL usually are recommended for optimal results, especially when treating stubborn hyperpigmentation.  In our office we like to recommend our patients to return for additional treatment s 2 to 4 weeks after their initial procedure.  I also like to encourage skin brightening products like a Hydroquinone 4% (minimum strength) cream or a Kojic Acid.  This can help aid in the decrease of the uneven pigmentation of the skin along with the use of regular Microdermabrasions. Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Wait several weeks after skin is red before microdermabrasion

+1

Wait several weeks after skin is red before microdermabrasion. Darkening of the skin after a procedure is a sign of inflammation and another treatment of any kind may worsen the inflammation and further darken the skin.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Microdermabrasion after IPL

+1

It looks like you had a marked response to the IPL. I think you will have a good result.

I would wait till your skin recovers completely (redness, temporary pigmentation worsening), and then wait one more week.

Two points to keep in mind:

1- The pigmentation usually returns in a few weeks or months.

2- Next time ask the operator to use less power

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

+1

At least another few weeks. Best to ask the IPL doc. Thanks for the posted photos. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Microderm after IPL

+1

Usually you could perform microderm after just a few days of having an IPL.  However, I would wait until any sensitivity you are experiencing goes away.  IPL treatments will often make frekcles turn dark and appear like "coffe grounds", then peel off.  This could be a normal part of the post-procedure process.  However, if the dark areas persist, certainly have the provider look at the treated areas again.  

Timothy G. Rodgers, MD
Frisco Dermatologist