Can Matrix RF Laser Treatments Flatten Slightly Raised Scars?

Ematrix for acne scars

Although it is possible to flatten raised scars with Ematrix, we tend not to use that modality to flatten hypertrophic scars. In my office, I use a combination of IIT, pulsed dye laser, and application of Plato's Scar Serum.

Dr. Karamanoukian

EMatrix for raised scars ? Williamsville acne scar and scar therapy center

Thank you for your question - it guides patients about the different types of scar tissue and their respective treatments. 

Raised surgical scars, traumatic scars or kelpids and hyeprtrophic scars are treated different using laser technology, pressure dressings, steroid injections, topical treatments and by specialists who have expertise in this area. 

Sublative technology like eMatrix may help with raised scars but is more useful for atrophic ance scars, some ice pick scars based on Dr. Raffy's criteria, rolling scars and boxed scars, among others. 

.... yes it can ... but...

...steroid injections with V Beam laser produces more consistent results, especially for early scars. Yes, I have seen Ematrix flatten hypertrophic or raised scars, but results are inconsistent. 

I prefer to use Ematrix for early scarring of acne- box car, atrophic and mixed scars do well in all skin colours. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Cosmetic Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Matrix and Fraxel can flatten some raised scars

Some hypertrophic scars are responsive to fractional laser resurfacing such as Matrix and Fraxel. It will never be perfectly normal skin, but the texture of the skin can improve in some patients, rather significantly.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon