Massaging After Liposuction?

How long after Liposuction do you have to start massaging? Does this hurt? What about areas on your back where you cant reach to massage?

Massaging after liposuction is a must

+3

massaging after liposuction is invaluable. massaging after liposuction helps to reduce swelling, smoothen out the skin irregularities or folds, and to make the skin less sensitive.

Web reference: http://www.extremeliposuction.com

Massage after liposuction

+3

I do not specifically recommend massage after liposuction.  If however, there is an area of swelling and firmness, I will sometimes recommend working the area to soften it. 

Don't massage after Liposuction

+3

There is no evidence that massage has any positive benefits for the liposuction patient. As a matter of fact, it might even do harm if too agressive. The area that has been treated by liposuction is a surgical wound. A repairative process must ensue that takes many months. The healing mechanisms in the body (that have evolved over thousands of years) are very efficient at repairing what the procedure has created. Let your body do the job it knows how to do.

Massaging After Liposuction

+2

There is no need to massage oneself after liposuction.  A few years ago ultrasound was prescribed for fibrotic areas.  Endermologie has also been used with some success.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/liposuction.html

Massaging after Liposuction may be helpful but not a must

+2

Although Therapeutic or "lymphatic massage" may be helpful it is NOT mandatory. Endermologie is also very helpful after liposculpture/liposuction but again, not critical.  Although deep tissue massage following liposuction can aid in smoothing out  contour irregularities that invariably accompany this procedure it has limited effect on the final outcome and  is not mandatory. Some plastic surgeons recommend it to all  patients as they feel the edema resolves faster.  Ask your surgeon to show you or a significant other how to do this if cost is an issue.That "significant other" will be able to get to the hard to reach places like your back.

Massage after liposuction

+2

It is really not necessary for you to massage yourself after liposuction. The idea of lymphatic drainage massage is a special type of massage technique used to decrease swelling by increasing the lymphatic flow. If you feel that you would benefit from that type of massage, call your surgeon and ask him/her for advice on someone they trust. In terms of timing, you are ready for massage when you feel you are able to move around with minimal soreness. Good luck,

Massage and Lipo

+1

I do not specifically recommend massaging the treated areas afterwards. It can be helpful to have a lymphatic drainage massage after surgery to reduce inflammation. Your plastic surgeon may or may not recommend this as part of your post care.

Massaging After Liposuction

+1

Massaging is actually important to begin about a week after liposuction. Lymphatic massage will enhance recovery and decrease swelling. I recommend 2-3 sessions per week for 2-3 weeks after liposuction.

LDM, LMD

+1

Sim,

There are physical therapists and massage therapists specially trained to perform lymphatic drainage massage (LDM) or lymphatic manual drainage (LMD). Their techniques enhance the lymphatic system's ability to clear swelling from the surgically traumatized areas. This is usually possible when the most severe soreness has subsided in a week or so. Good luck!

You should not be massaging yourself.

+1

Hi!

There is no need for massage after liposuction, except in the abdomen, which is more prone to irregularities.

In New York, we send liposuction of the stomach patients for professional lymphatic drainage massage, as soon as they are not too sore (a few days). But I don't recommend that you massage yourself.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.