Facial Paralysis After Neck Liposuction

I had neck Liposuction 5 days ago and after "coming out of the fog," I'm still experiencing paralysis on the right side of my face (smile). I now have less swelling and feelings of numbness with tingles in my lower face.

First of all, what expectations should I have for improvement or for full recovery? Lastly, what can I do to improve recovery and/or speed it up, such as exercise muscles more, i.e. chewing gum?

Nerve injury after neck lipo

+1

This may be a result of an injury to the muscle, or an injury to the nerve. Both can be injured because of the trauma caused by the liposuction cannula. This paralysis should bne temporary, but may take several weeks or months. It would be extremely uncommon for it to be permanent - this would occur if the nerve was severed, which is very difficult with a blunt cannula. I have heard of this type of injury occuring after laser liposuction because the heat "burns" the nerve, but again this should be temporary. Be patient.

Neck liposuction

+1

Dear Necklipo!!! You must be very concerned- this is perfectly reasonable- unfortunately this can happen when there is trauma around the facial nerve. Which parts of your smile are affected? Has there been any change in the nerve function yet?

it is unusual for a nerve to be permanently injured from a blunt liposuction cannula and most likely this is temporary. The nerve weakness can result from the trauma, bleeding, swelling, and the local freezing that may have been used.

You should return to your surgeon for regular follow up. Check the movement daily- but do not sit in front of the mirror!

Good luck.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

It is too soon to say.

+1

It will probably fully recover in 1-2 months. There is nothing that will make it go faster. It is probably due to swelling and almost always recovers.