Should I Massage if I Had Strattice Done to Fix Capsular Contracture?

This is my third surgery to fix capsular contracture. This time it's done with strattice. I was told not to massage them for 6 weeks. The last surgery I had a seroma and didn't massage that side and it encapsulated, but the other side that I massaged was ok. With this surgery the day after my drain on the left side seemed to be draining blood and not fluid. So I had an immediate surgery for hematoma. I'm afraid if I wait til 6 weeks to massage it will encapsulate again. To massage or not?

Massage not necessary after Strattice for Capsular contracture

+1

There are different opinions on the subject of massage to prevent contracture, because there isn't any evidence to prove one way or the other. What we do know is that CC is not caused by simply having the pocket too tight, which would be the reason for massage. With Strattice, best to leave it be and I anticipate a good outcome for you as we have had success with it.

Strattice and massage

+1

If Strattice wsa used for capsular contracture issues, I normally do not have patients massage early on. You should really ask your surgeon about his specific protocol.

Massage after allograft for capsular contracture

+1

Generally an allografts such as Strattice have a higher rate of seroma formation and infection. In our practice we do not massage allografts to allow them to bind or incorporate into the breast tissue. Ask your surgeon what his experience has been. The hematoma is a prime cause for capsular contracture and if your capsule recurs the cause can be anyone's guess, though we wish you well.

peterejohnsonmd