How Should I Massage Mini Tummy Tuck Scar?

Massage with lotion

+3

I often ask my patients to begin scar massage after their wounds are about three to four weeks old. This speeds up the softening of the scar and can help to prevent contractures. Any lotion can be used for this purpose that reduces friction between your fingers and the scar. Then, you should consider application of a silicone based scar cream like Scarguard or Kelocote once or twice a day. And remember to keep scars out of the sun for a year!

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck scar

+2

How do you care for you tummy tuck scar?  I usual keep patients taped over their incison for 3-6 weeks if not longer.  They then can use moisturizers on theie incisions. If they have problems with the scar they can use topical silicone sheets or creams.

There is manual lympahtic drainage massage and scar massage

+2

There are two different methods of massage.

One is manual lymphatic drainage. This encourages resolution of swelling which theoretically promotes oxygenation and optimal healing.

The second is the firm massage used to promote reorganization of the collagen fibrils to produce a thinner and flatter scar. Scars are approximately 80% strong at the 3-4 week point and therefore this is the most common time to intiate this technique. Any hypoallergenic mosturizing lotion or oil will do. Massage therapists vary widely in their recommendations but physicians tend to recommend silicone based gels.

Massage of a mini tummy tuck scar

+1

After a mini tummy tuck, patients should expect a significant recovery process. During the first month, you will have significant swelling to the area that was treated and to any areas that also received liposuction. You should expect to see your ultimate result in a proximally 6 to 8 months after the surgery. Your scar however is not done healing. Scars take approximately 10 to 12 months to finally mature. During the healing process, you can help optimize the healing of your scar by massaging the scarred deeply in a round, circular motion. Many of our patients use scar creams such as Mederma or Kelocote onto the scars as well.

Pat Pazmino, MD