Best Treatment for Marionette Line and Smile Lines?

I'm interested in using a filler for the marionette lines and for the smile lines on my cheeks to the right/left of my mouth and for one acne scar I have.

Radiesse

+2

In my opinion Radiesse is a great choice for marionette lines. It is a semi permanent substance that tends to last longer then Restylane. It has also been shown to help rebuild the faces own natural collagen!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for marionette or smile lines

+2

My personal preference is to use a combination of Restylane and Perlane.  Perlane is a thicker product, is injected deeper, and gives more volume.  Restylane is thinner and injected more superficial than Perlane.  They can be used alone or can be used together in a layered fashion.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD

Facial Fillers

+1

We are very fortunate to have so many wonderful fillers. My suggestion is to let the doctor customize the treatment plan for you.We have lots of fillers but let them decide what is best for your type of wrinkle pattern. Without seeing you it would be difficult to make an opinion. We have Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse,Sculptra and Artefill. I like to customize the plan for the patient and also try to be ecconimical for my patient.

The most important thing is to pick  a physician with a lot of experience in doing these procedures and then trust their opinion.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Fillers Perlane and Restylane May Help Smooth Lines

+1

Marionette and smile lines (or nasolabial folds) are usually deeper creases than are found in the forehead or around the eyes, which means they call for a different type of injectable than the popular Botox or Dysport.

Fillers like Restylane and Perlane work to fill lines and creases in areas that lose volume and suppleness as we get older. Both are made from hyaluronic acid (HA), which is produced naturally by the skin to increase fullness and elasticity. Juvéderm is another filler option that also contains HA and is approved by the FDA to last up to a year. Fillers Sculptra and Radiesse may also be good options based on your needs, too.

No matter which filler you choose, make certain to schedule your appointment with a trained and experienced injector. For example, in the state of Georgia only board certified doctors of medicine, physician assistants, registered nurses, or nurse practitioners under the direction of a physician may administer cosmetic injections in patients.

Ashley R. Curtis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Prefer Perlane

+1

I think each of the fillers has its own advantages. For deeper Marionette lines, I prefer Perlane. I find that Perlane gives the most "lift" to this area. I have compared Perlane and Restylane, using my own version of a paired comparison and found that the results on deeper lines is superior with Perlane. This may have to do with the bulkiness of the product.

Interestingly, Juvederm's own promotional material may be responsible for this perception. When Juvederm first came out, their rep showed me photomicrographs of both Resylane/Perlane and Juvderm. Juvederm had much neater, well rounded spheres. They were better spaced and more orderly. In comparison the Restylane photos looked more like the office of an absent-minded professor: everything seemed to be out of order, less well spaced and messy globules. However, in my mind it seems that this may be the reason Perlane/Restylane gives more lift: by having its globules bulkier and thicker. Maybe, a false perception, but a perception nonetheless. 

Restylane can be placed on top of Perlane. This layering effect takes advantage of the Restylane's ability to sit at the top of the dermis, thereby smoothing out the surface.

One other advantage, by the way, is that Restylane/Perlane is less expensive, especially considering Medilcis has not added $25 for Xylocaine ( the anesthetic).

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

NLF fillers, Radiesse, Perlane, smile line fillers

+1

You have quite a few choices for filling smile (nasolabial fold) and Marrionette lines. Restylane or Juvederm is meant to be placed within the layers of the skin and is best used for more shallow lines and folds. To fill in deeper folds a larger molecule filler like Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus would be used. Sculptra could also be used but would require 2 or 3 treatments at 6 weeks apart as this product places crystals within the skin that makes your body create collagen to fill and plump up the area.