Malar Bags - Festoons. What Do You Recommend? (photo)

I see differing opinions about lower bleph for this. How visible are the scars? One doc recommended a lower bleph w/ an extended incision that runs length of lower lids & about a cm along a smile line in outer corner of eye. Also discussed with another, an arcus marginalis release, fat transposition and canthopexy with a separate skin muscle flap? I have also read about laser tx's. Some say a lower bleph could make problems worse? I've already tried fillers.

Festoons (malar bags)

+3

Festoons (aka malar bags) are a common annoying problem of the lower eyelid/cheek junction.  They can be mild to severe. There are different types of festoons, namely fluid filled, fat filled, excess skin, or combination of the above.  Treatment options vary for each but complete resolution of festoons are unlikely, especially if fluid component present, and you should expect improvement not complete resolution. In your case, the lower eyelid incision with skin-muscle flap is likely the best method to give the best result.  See an oculoplastic specialist.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Malar bag, festoon treatment

+3

Thank you for your question. As you may have guessed by the number of different opinions expressed here,  this is a very difficult problem to treat.  Direct excision may improve this problem but many times it only results in an improvement not a complete elimination of the problem.  The down side to doing this is that it leaves you with a significant scar on your cheeks. Arcus marginalis release, fat transposition and canthopexy with a separate skin muscle flap is an excellent operation that will address the "upper" bags of the lower lids but NOT the problem of the malar bags. I also note that your lower eyelids have lateral bowing  (the outside edge of the eyelid appears pulled down). This may be indicative of lower eyelid looseness which also should be addressed.

I have found that the best way to treat malar festoons is very wide undermining of the skin with a tightening of the lower eyelid, tightening of the muscle, re-draping of the skin and possibly cheek fat pad elevation (this would depend on your physical findings).  Best of luck with this difficult problem.

Donald M. Brown, MD

Malar bags - festoons

+2

Festoons are not removed with a traditional lower blepharoplasty.  A canthoplasty will help with some of the excess lower lid retraction present and scleral show, however, not all of the festoon material will go away with just a canthoplasty.  Direct incision is probably the only way to surgically remove true festoons, but the festoon removal should be done as a secondary procedure after a canthoplasty is performed.  Fillers will not help with this problem.

Festoons

+2

Put me down as one in agreement with Drs. Meyer and Kabaker; direct excision is safest and surest way to good result. External laser combined with lateral canthopexy (to prevent ectropion or lower lid rounding) could be considered in experienced hands. Conservative approach is safest.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek festoons ("water bags"): what's the solution?

+2

Yes, those pesky collections of 'fluid' beneath the lower eyelids can come and go, but never really completely go away. Do salt, hormone levels, stress and aging make them worse?  I agree with Dr Mayer and Kabaker that direct excision offers the most straightforward method of achieving a reduction and improvement in these pesky bags of annoyance.  If surgical healing is routine, the small scars seem like a good tradeoff to the persistent puffiness!

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Festoons

+2

As you can tell by the number of different options presented to you, that this is a difficult problem to address. The more techniques available for a problem, the harder it is to fix!!

The best way to remove them completely is to excise them directly which will leave a scar.

All other options [blepharoplasty, laser, etc]  will likely improve to some degree, but not resolve completely.

Your case is mild-moderate, so a blepharoplasty with orbicularis suspension may suffice.

An experienced Oculoplastics or Facial Plastics patient may be your best bet.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Malar bags/festoons per photo

+2

Interesting responses from non-plastic surgeons. 

The key to such problems is identifying what the problem is, what procedure would correct it, and what the trade-offs are. Lower eyelid/malar bagging is a combination of fat pads, stretch and sag of overlying skin, and descent of the upper cheek/malar tissues. A standard lower lid blepharoplasty would address the fat pads but not the stretched and excess skin with an incision in the usual subcilliary location (or transconjunctival). Such a procedure does not address the sag of the upper cheek border and adequate support for the heavier cheek tissues. A direct excision of skin only can also have problems with tension on the lower eyelid border and doesn't lift the upper cheek without separate maneuvers plus the incisional scar is not a favorable tradeoff. 

I would recommend accepting a less than complete correction of the skin (which could be improved by surface treatment separate from the eyelid/cheek lift) and do a standard lower lid blepharoplasty through a subciliary incision and include a release and lift of the upper cheek (part of a midface lift). This is anchored to the fascia lateral to the eyelid margin and much of the excess skin can be removed without tension on the lower lid. I call this an extended lower lid blepharoplasty. It would give you the most improvement for the least visible scar and risk. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Festoons

+2

Lots of options for FESTOONS:  The standard direct festoonectomy and transconjuntival internal plication approaches will work.  However, don't forget about internal & external laser applications and possible serial adrenocorticosteroid injections, etc.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar festoon surgery

+2

There really only two ways to deal with these and first off, you'd probably want a few consults with Facial plastic or Oculplastic surgeon.  How do you get ride or improve these?

1)  Direct excision.  The scar fades but it looks a lot better than what you had.

2)  Trans-blepharoplasty malar festoon plication.  You'll want to see an experienced Oculoplastic surgeon for this one.

The pexies and other things recommended won't do much for you.  Some fat grafting would be helpful however.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar Bags - Festoons. What Do You Recommend?

+1
Festoons are a difficult problem to treat. Sometimes they can worsen after Surgery.
A extended lower blepharoplasty with a mid face lift can help. Canthopexy, arcus release, fat transposition will be performed as a part of the mid face lift. As you have discovered Fillers dont work and occasionally fillers can make festoons and malar bags worse. Lasers don't work either.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon