Making Nipples Smaller For Men

When I went through puberty (23 now), I seemed to have suffered some gyno (I believe thats the correct term). My nipples are puffier and larger than most men. I work out daily and have a good build, but the larger nipples lowers my self esteem. Is there a surgery to fix this? If so what is the average cost? What type of doctor would I go see? And what is the average recovery time? Thanks, Dan

Puffy Nipples Gynecomastia

+4
Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast/chest appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, an areolar reduction can be performed in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin, and the reduced areolar diameter can be critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia - It's more common than people realize

+1
Having some breast tissue growth is very common during puberty (see article below) and is almost always benign and resolves spontaneously once the hormonal milieu of puberty settles down. However, in a significant number of men this tissue never resolves on its own and in some cases it continues to enlarge often leading to embarrassment and damaging ones self esteem. Patient's often tell me they outright avoid social situations where they might remove their shirt (pool or beach) and wear loose fitting clothing. Although uncommon it is important to have a medical evaluation to rule out a medical cause for the breast enlargement such as cancer, hormone releasing tumors, medications as well as marijuana use can all result in enlargement of male breasts. I have had one patient with a pituitary tumor and one patient with testicular cancer both present with gynecomastia.) Once you test normal for hormonal screening and physical exam show no abnormal or suspicious masses in the breast or testis, I would seek out consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can go over options for surgical treatment of the breast tissue by directly excising the tissue often including liposuction and other treatment to reduce the size of the areola. 

Joseph B. Eby, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia a growing surgical procedure

+1
There are many causes for enlarged chest tissue in men, Gynecomastia. Many times several factors are involved; however, frequently, there is no identifiable cause. Some of the contributing factors include obesity, certain prescription medications, alcohol, marijuana, and steroid abuse. Many medical illnesses can contribute to Gynecomastia such as thyroid disease, prolactinemia, renal failure, and even some benign and malignant tumors.

First, a correctable medical cause for Gynecomastia should be sought. Once this has been done, most healthy men who are bothered by the appearance of their chest are reasonable candidates to be evaluated for surgery. Patients should be mature enough to understand the procedure, its limitations, and the resultant scaring (if any). 

If you are an adolescent male who suffers from enlarged chest tissue, often the best advice is to wait until the end of puberty to allow hormonal changes to settle out. Gynecomastia will often disappear in adolescents and patients can avoid a scar from surgery. However, there are rare cases that warrant surgical correction earlier. We have some select photos of men who have had Gynecomastia Surgery with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons available to view in our Before & After Gallery.

Christopher G. Williams, MD
Lone Tree Plastic Surgeon

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

+1
Yes you may have this done. If you have significant gynecomastia at times performing the gynecomastia  procedure will be sufficient enough to reduce the size of the nipple as the skin retracts. Other wise you may need a peri-areolar mastopexy or also called donut mastopexy.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar Mastopexy To Address Enlarged Nipples

+1

It’s not unusual for men to be concerned about enlarged nipple areola complexes. When this occurs, men note that their areolas are of larger than average size and appear to be puffy. This condition is frequently associated with an underlying gynecomastia. This condition tends to make the chest look more feminine and for this reason men frequently request treatment.

In most cases a periareolar mastopexy can be performed to address the problem. With this technique, an incision is made around the border of the areola and excess areola is removed through this approach. If gynecomastia is present this can be addressed simultaneously. When the wounds are closed the scar is positioned between the areola and surrounding skin where it’s easily hidden.

Following surgery most activities can be resumed in about a week, heavy lifting and strenuous activities may take up to six weeks. This procedure is not usually covered by insurance and cost ranges from $3500-to $6000.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Puffy nipples / Gynaecomastia

+1
Dear Dan,

Puffy nipples can be treated with several techniques. Depending on the severity of the condition; liposuction, excision of glandular tissue & areolar excision (to reduce the diameter of a large areola) can help. 

You would need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for this procedure. The average procedure cost at our centre would be 1500-2000 US$.The procedure is done under local anaesthesia with sedation, as a daycare procedure. The recovery time can be as little as 2-3 days following the procedure.

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Large and puffy nipples

+1

There is a difference between large prominent nipples and "puffy" nipples. Prominent nipples are when the actual nipple, and only the nipple, are larger and protrude outward. Most guys do not complain about this. Puffy nipples on the other hand is when there is fullness beneath the entire nipple-areola area. This causes the areola (the darker skin surrounding the nipple) to appear puffed out. A lot of guys don't like this. It often is from a mild case of gynecomastia but can also be just the tip of the iceberg.

Cost can vary depending how severe the problem is but in general ranges from about $4000 - 5000 total. I think that a Plastic surgeon who does this regularly is the best type of surgeon to go to since various types of liposuction to the breast and chest are combined to give the smoothest result. Recovery also varies depending how severe the problem and can range from a couple days to a week off work. No exercise for two weeks. Final results are seen usually by three months.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Nipple Reduction

+1

There are multiple options to correct this problem.   I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to correct this.  Cost will range from 4500-9000 depending on the length of surgery necessary.      Correction can involve liposuction, direct excision of dense breast tissue, or excision of redundant skin.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

+1

The condition that you are describing is a classic typcial  gynecomastia.  It usually presents as a young adolescent male, possibly a little over weight.  As you mature in to your late teens early 20's and the weight comes down the breasts stay the same.  There is no non-surgical method to correct this problem.  Liposuction is occasionally helpful but if there is any breast tissue under the areola a subcutaneous mastecomy is required.  A full examination is needed to give you more information as to which treatment will be effective.  It does no good to try to liposuction breast tissue as it will not aspirate.