Making Nipples Smaller For Men

When I went through puberty (23 now), I seemed to have suffered some gyno (I believe thats the correct term). My nipples are puffier and larger than most men. I work out daily and have a good build, but the larger nipples lowers my self esteem. Is there a surgery to fix this? If so what is the average cost? What type of doctor would I go see? And what is the average recovery time? Thanks, Dan

Puffy Nipples Gynecomastia

+4
Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast/chest appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, an areolar reduction can be performed in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin, and the reduced areolar diameter can be critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction

+1
Thank you for your question.  It is possible that you have some breast tissue that may need to be excised.  Gynecomastia is caused by really two different problems:  actual breast tissue that needs surgical excision and fat deposition which is best treated by liposuction.  Your deformity may be a combination of the two.  It is also possible to make nipples smaller by using a suture to cinch down the area. There is definitely a strategy to fix this, but it will require a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Salvatore Pacella, MD, MBA, FACS

Nipple reduction - puffy nipples?

+1
Nipple (areola) reduction is possible.  The surgery involves placing a scar all the way around the areola which will fade (not completely) over time.  A plastic surgeon is a specialist to see.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Male Nipple Reduction

+1
Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon regarding your concern. A physical examination will first check the amount of firm breast tissue underneath the areola and determine how much of this tissue can be safely removed. Moderately pronounced nipple/areola puffiness is usually caused by this breast tissue and can be removed to create a flatter chest.

The surgery itself is short (only one or two hours) and often requires less than a week for recovery. Large areolae often become smaller after glandular and/or adipose tissue has been removed during the procedure as well. This side effect is the result of the skin covering the chest muscles tightening through the treatment process.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Gynecomastia - It's more common than people realize

+1
Having some breast tissue growth is very common during puberty (see article below) and is almost always benign and resolves spontaneously once the hormonal milieu of puberty settles down. However, in a significant number of men this tissue never resolves on its own and in some cases it continues to enlarge often leading to embarrassment and damaging ones self esteem. Patient's often tell me they outright avoid social situations where they might remove their shirt (pool or beach) and wear loose fitting clothing. Although uncommon it is important to have a medical evaluation to rule out a medical cause for the breast enlargement such as cancer, hormone releasing tumors, medications as well as marijuana use can all result in enlargement of male breasts. I have had one patient with a pituitary tumor and one patient with testicular cancer both present with gynecomastia.) Once you test normal for hormonal screening and physical exam show no abnormal or suspicious masses in the breast or testis, I would seek out consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can go over options for surgical treatment of the breast tissue by directly excising the tissue often including liposuction and other treatment to reduce the size of the areola. 

Joseph B. Eby, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia a growing surgical procedure

+1
There are many causes for enlarged chest tissue in men, Gynecomastia. Many times several factors are involved; however, frequently, there is no identifiable cause. Some of the contributing factors include obesity, certain prescription medications, alcohol, marijuana, and steroid abuse. Many medical illnesses can contribute to Gynecomastia such as thyroid disease, prolactinemia, renal failure, and even some benign and malignant tumors.

First, a correctable medical cause for Gynecomastia should be sought. Once this has been done, most healthy men who are bothered by the appearance of their chest are reasonable candidates to be evaluated for surgery. Patients should be mature enough to understand the procedure, its limitations, and the resultant scaring (if any). 

If you are an adolescent male who suffers from enlarged chest tissue, often the best advice is to wait until the end of puberty to allow hormonal changes to settle out. Gynecomastia will often disappear in adolescents and patients can avoid a scar from surgery. However, there are rare cases that warrant surgical correction earlier. We have some select photos of men who have had Gynecomastia Surgery with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons available to view in our Before & After Gallery.

Christopher G. Williams, MD
Lone Tree Plastic Surgeon

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

+1
Yes you may have this done. If you have significant gynecomastia at times performing the gynecomastia  procedure will be sufficient enough to reduce the size of the nipple as the skin retracts. Other wise you may need a peri-areolar mastopexy or also called donut mastopexy.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar Mastopexy To Address Enlarged Nipples

+1

It’s not unusual for men to be concerned about enlarged nipple areola complexes. When this occurs, men note that their areolas are of larger than average size and appear to be puffy. This condition is frequently associated with an underlying gynecomastia. This condition tends to make the chest look more feminine and for this reason men frequently request treatment.

In most cases a periareolar mastopexy can be performed to address the problem. With this technique, an incision is made around the border of the areola and excess areola is removed through this approach. If gynecomastia is present this can be addressed simultaneously. When the wounds are closed the scar is positioned between the areola and surrounding skin where it’s easily hidden.

Following surgery most activities can be resumed in about a week, heavy lifting and strenuous activities may take up to six weeks. This procedure is not usually covered by insurance and cost ranges from $3500-to $6000.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Puffy nipples / Gynaecomastia

+1
Dear Dan,

Puffy nipples can be treated with several techniques. Depending on the severity of the condition; liposuction, excision of glandular tissue & areolar excision (to reduce the diameter of a large areola) can help. 

You would need to see a board certified plastic surgeon for this procedure. The average procedure cost at our centre would be 1500-2000 US$.The procedure is done under local anaesthesia with sedation, as a daycare procedure. The recovery time can be as little as 2-3 days following the procedure.

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon