Making Nipples Smaller For Men

When I went through puberty (23 now), I seemed to have suffered some gyno (I believe thats the correct term). My nipples are puffier and larger than most men. I work out daily and have a good build, but the larger nipples lowers my self esteem. Is there a surgery to fix this? If so what is the average cost? What type of doctor would I go see? And what is the average recovery time? Thanks, Dan

Puffy Nipples Gynecomastia

Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast/chest appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, an areolar reduction can be performed in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin, and the reduced areolar diameter can be critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

You are likely a good candidate for this procedure but photos and examination will help determine that. Cost in this region is around $4-8K depending on experience and OR fees. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

201 North Robertson Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Good questions, Dan.  Puffiness of the nipple can certainly be gynecomastia.  There is a safe and effective treatment which is surgery.  The puffiness from glandular tissue is excised.  Cost ranges from $5,000 to $8,500.  I would recommend a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD

9615 Brighton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Male breast reduction

Hola Dan, there are several solutions for your concern.

medical treatment and surgical. 

the prices varies form doctor to doctor, you must choose a board certificated plastic surgeon. 

the recovery time for this procedure is about a month. 

Eduardo Mejia, MD

Avenida 27 de Febrero

Surgery for puffy nipples

Gynecomastia (enlargement of the male breast) may be localized or diffuse.  Localized gynecomastia occurs when there is excessive breast tissue immediately deep to the nipple areola, causing a puffy appearance.  Diffuse gynecomastia occurs when there is widespread breast tissue, causing the entire breast to look enlarged.  The less-than-technical term for this is "man boobs."
Puffy nipples (actually excess tissue beneath the nipple areolae) are typically treated by male breast reduction surgery.  This requires a small incision along the lower 30% of the areolar border (border between pigmented and non-pigmented skin), typically resulting in a fine line and well-camouflaged scar.  Through this incision, excess breast tissue is removed, resulting in a flatter nipple areola.  Nipple-areolar diameter is frequently reduced, as the skin contracts after surgery.
Following surgery, you will be on pain medication for about 5 to 7 days.  You cannot work out for 4 weeks.  You will need to wear a compressive vest for 4 weeks (24/7) and then on a tapering basis for another 4 weeks.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

6124 West Parker Road
Plano, TX 75093

You appear to have gynecomastia which results in areolar enlargement. Having the breast tissue removed will allow the areola to reduce in size. Occasionally the areola will require a reduction by removing skin tissue.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

6355 East Kemper Road
Cincinnati, OH 45241

Puffy Nipples

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your post. Based on your description it sounds like you have physiologic gynecomastia. It is not uncommon for boys going through puberty to get some form of breast enlargement. However, in a large majority of them it resolves in 2 years. Obviously you are well past that time frame and yours likely requires surgery to correct. I recommend seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. The average time to go back to work is 3-7 days, and in my practice I allow patients to resume exercise between 4-6 weeks based on what surgery was performed.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Gynecomastia surgeon

Areolar protuberance can be corrected with some liposuction +/- a periareolar excision of excess areolar tissue. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Nipple reduction

This is fixable with nipple reduction surgery. The tissue underneath the nipple can be removed to flatten the area, or the actual areola can be modified.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

3 Winslow Place
Paramus, NJ 07652