Lumpy, Uneven, Hard Stomach After Liposuction? (photo)

It has been 2 weeks and my stomach is getting worse as the time passes. I asked my ps but he says they will go away with time. I am afraid that this is not happening as they are getting worse. I never wore a garment because my ps did not recommended. Is this normal? My stomach was so beautiful the first week and the second week its just so disgusting :(, I know it takes time but I haven't seen any positive results from people who did have lumpiness and uneven after liposuction.

Lumpy, uneven, hard stomach after liposuction

+2

Thank you for question and pictures. Generally speaking, it takes up six months and sometimes longer to see the final results of liposuction. You need to patient and follow your surgeon's instructions. At two weeks after surgery, you are very early in the healing process and the shape will change overtime.

Ask your surgeon about massaging the areas

+1
You are still early on in your recovery. The final result can usually be assessed at 3-4 months.

Ask your surgeon if you can begin massaging the area. Massage will help to decrease the swelling faster and to smooth out any irregularities. Massage each area in all directions using your hands, or, a soft paint roller. Massage should be done once or twice a day for up to 20 minutes.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Abdominal Lumpiness After Liposuction

+1

Your abdomen looks so good after 1 week because there was still swelling present which caused the tissue to look smooth and even.  At 2 weeks, some of the swelling has gone down (edema fluid) and now you can see the pre-scar formation on your abdomen.  As you can see, the fat has separated into bands similar to the bands you had on your abdomen before the liposuction, and those were the normal folds.  You should have worn a compression garment, preferably with a piece of Reston foam over the middle portion of your abdomen to decrease this type of formation. 

Technically, there are some free fat cells which are knocked off their moorings, and they migrate both above and below your skin folds after liposuction.  These get trapped in clumps above and below skin folds held together by fluid and some blood components, and if not treated, can turn to scar tissue which may be difficult or impossible to get rid of. 

If you were my patient, even at 2 weeks, I would have you begin wearing a pressure garment with Reston foam.  I would begin you on ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles) 2-3 times per week, 20 minutes per session.  I would begin using DMSO immediately to decrease bruising and swelling.

There is a bigger question here.  How old are you and how many children have you had?  If you are young, i.e. under 40 and have had no children and no large weight gain or loss in your life, then possibly this question is moot.  However, if you had children, if you are older or had big weight gains or losses, then you may have been a more appropriate candidate for a skin resection to include a tummy tuck rather than a liposuction. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon