Should I lose weight before Lower Face Lift? (photo)

Hi, I am about to turn 46. I have an 8 month old ( yes, you read that right) I still have 25lbs. to lose. Should I lose the weight before I have a lower face and neck lift? Will liposuction of the neck and jawline be done with facelift and can that fat be used to fill out the cheek area? Thank you!

Weight Loss Before a Lower Face or Neck Lift

+2
It is common for patients considering undergoing a neck lift or lower face lift to inquire about the effects of weight loss and the ultimate results from surgery.  I advise any overweight patient that is going to lose more than 20lbs to wait to lose the weight before undergoing surgery.  If it is less than 20lbs, there is less benefit in waiting.  

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before or after facelift?

+2
If you truly plan to lose that much weight, it is better to do it before your surgery. If you have surgery and the. Lose so much weight, it may be difficult for your skin to contract, resulting in sagging again.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight before a facelift

+2
It is always better to lose any significant weight gain before surgery but don't stress over the last 10-15 pounds. Face and neck lifting is more about repairing laxity of muscle than fat problems. There is a fat pad under your chin which won't respond to weight loss so liposuction would be required and some of that fat can be utilized for filling in the face if necessary. You will be very busy for awhile with the new baby so planning a good time for surgery may be problematic. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Facelift

+2
I believe loosing the weight first is advisable. Once the weight is lost, then re-assess the face and decide what needs to be done. Facelift with or without fat transfer to the cheeks. and removing excess fat in the neck.

Face lift weight loss

+2
Weight loss prior as opposed to after a facelift is always preferable.
The jowls, jawline and below are routinely liposuctioned to improve the contour and longevity of results of a facelift. If indicated this same fat is used to inject into the cheeks, malar and infra-orbital regions.
Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person prior to making treatment decisions, cheers.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Lower facelift

+1
You are indeed a good candidate for a lower facelift along with some suctioning of the fat of your neck.  I don't think that fat injections are a worthwhile option in your situation.  As far as weight loss is concerned, it would be of some benefit to lies the weight prior to surgery, but even if you can't lose the weight, you'll still get a very nice result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

I plan to lose weight. Should I do it before or after my facelift?

+1
You may not be able to fully enjoy the results of your facelift—and you could need a second facelift—if you lose more than 20 pounds after undergoing the surgery. The reason for this is that your freshly tightened skin may potentially become lax again if you lose the fat underneath it. If you plan on losing 25 pounds, then I recommend that you try losing the weight BEFORE you undergo a surgery. In the meantime, you may see a board certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss less invasive options to maintain a fresh appearance while you are working on the weight loss. I wish you the best of luck with your newborn and your weight loss!

Stephen P. Smith, Jr., MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight before a face/neck lift

+1
lose weight before a face/neck lift in order to get the best possible results.  Otherwise you would likely re-develop loose skin and you wouldn't be happy with your results.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Weight Loss and Facial Surgery

+1
  1. Only loose weight that you plan to keep off! Yo-yo dieting is not good for you or for the outcome of your surgery.
  2. Loosing weight always makes it easier to have an excellent outcome.
  3. Loosing less than 15-20 lbs should not have much benefit to facial outcomes.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Should I lose weight before Lower Face Lift?

+1
If you plan to lose weight, do it before the surgery for the best result. Congrats on your new baby!!  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD