Long-Term Complications and Risks of Silicone Butt Implants?

I am 5'2" 110 lbs. (small frame) and my doctor suggests fat transfer over silicone implants.

He is afraid of scarring, thinning of butt tissue over time, hard feeling, infection, shape will look funny, etc.

However, I want a big difference and he said he will only be able to get about 200cc for each side from my love handles and none from my abdomen. I am leaning towards silicone but my doctor seems so against it. I am having a very hard time deciding which is better for me.

Risks of Silicone Butt Implants

+2

Dear zoe bunny,

The only safe options for performing buttock enlargement are using your own fat ("Brazilian butt lift") and using implants.

If you a thin person and desire significant buttock enlargement, using your own fat is not a good option because you do not have enough fat to produce the desired augmentation. In this situation, buttock augmentation using implants is your only option.

Having said that, it is important to know that buttock augmentation using implants has potential risks including infection, bleeding, scarring, nerve damage, firmness, implant rupture, implant migration, seroma, etc.

I would discuss your concerns with an experienced plastic surgeon who performs both the Brazilian butt lift and buttock implants.

As an aside, I would warn you about using fillers such as hydrogel, silicone, etc. to perform buttock augmentation. Tempting as they are, they have not been approved for use in the US by the FDA and are associated with significant risks.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Complications and Risks of Silicone Implants

+1
Brazilian butt lift (fat transfer to the buttock) is the best procedure to enhance your buttock because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. This is an amazing procedure because it allows your surgeon to tailor your results to your individual needs and desires!

In your particular situation you are a perfect candidate for a Brazilian butt lift as it will shape your waist and enhance your buttock. The implants will not improve your waist.

From your pictures it looks like your body can handle a much more than a 200cc buttock implant.

The amount of fat needed depends on the shape and needs of each individual patient, however in general at least 500cc per buttock need to be placed to see a significant difference. On average patients typically receive around 800cc per buttock side for a total of 1600cc of fat transfer. However just like a breast augmentation the amount of fat needed various from patient to patients. Also the sculpting done with the liposuction is a big part of the procedure to improve the overall shape.

Some patients have both the fat transfer and implants as this helps improve the overall shape and give them more augmentation than would be possible with either procedure alone.

It is important that you discuss your buttock augmentation options with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Johnny Franco, MD

Butt enlargement with fat and implants

+1

In the Brazilian butt lift, I not only do liposuction to sculpt the buttock and hips and then inject it into where it will help but also add a silicone butt implant. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon