How Long Should I Wait to Buy New Bras After Breast Implants?

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery and loving my new boobs!!! I am sooo tired of these sports bras though and wondering how long before I should start buying new bras? They look like they are dropping quite well, one more so than the other but that is normal. I know that they say could have swelling for several months but surely I am not expected to wear these silly sports bras forvever!!! 475cc Saline under the muscle is what I got, increased me from 32B to 34DD (sized today)

Shopping for bra after breast augmentation

+3

Every one reacts differently. As a rule, 4-6 weeks should be enough time. I do tell my breast augmentation patients to just buy a few bras at week 4-6 and get more after a few more weeks just in case if the breast size changed again.

And finally, don't forget to donate your old bras to the needy. Enjoy your new breasts in good health.

After Three to Four Months

+2
Aftre three to four months, your breasts will have “dropped and fluffed” , meaning they will have settled and look more natural. You should go shopping then to find a better fitting bra.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Getting out of the sports bra

+2

Generally speaking, patients should wear the sports bra 4-6 weeks after surgery.  You're correct that you still may have swelling at that time, but it is often fine to switch to a regular bra.  I encourage you to first check with your surgeon as he/she will be able to give advice on what is best for your particular situation.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Bra shopping after breast augmentation

+2

Sounds like you are progressing well after your breast augmentation.  congratulations.  I generally clear my patients to go shopping 4-6 weeks after their surgery.  But please check with your PS for his/her recommendations.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Bra shopping after Breast Augmentation?

+2
Congratulations on your recent surgery;  I'm glad to hear that you are please with the results. I would suggest that you avoid spending a lot of money on expensive bras  for an additional couple of months. Your breasts will be changing during this time period.

Wait for the implants to mature

+1
At one month you can buy a few bras, preferably without underwires.  The breast shape and size will change over the next 3 to 6 months.  I would not replace your entire wardrobe until it has been at least 6 months.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Timing for Buying New Bras After Breast Implants

+1
Each surgeon has different guidelines for postoperative care, and each patient heals differently. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

New Bra After Breast Augmentation

+1
One can see the final settling after 30 days and can resume wearing underwire or no bra after 30 days.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

After breast augmentation weight 2 by new bras until the implants have dropped into their final position

+1

Thank you for your question. Following breast augmentation implants can take 6-12 weeks to reach their final resting position. Buying a new bra is difficult because of the changing position of the implants during the first 6 or so weeks after breast augmentation. If possible I would wait to spend significant money on new bras until your breasts have moved down into a normal position.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Shopping for New Bras after a BA surgery

+1

You want to wait the full 4-6 weeks after surgery before moving over to a regular bra.  During the 4-6 time period is when your breast will be settling into place and you want to make sure they are in perfect position when they are in the healing process. If you did not have a lift with your augmentation you must wait at least 6 weeks after surgery to wear an underwire bra. 

Leonard Hochstein, MD