How Long Should I Wait to Buy New Bras After Breast Implants?

I am 4 1/2 weeks out from surgery and loving my new boobs!!! I am sooo tired of these sports bras though and wondering how long before I should start buying new bras? They look like they are dropping quite well, one more so than the other but that is normal. I know that they say could have swelling for several months but surely I am not expected to wear these silly sports bras forvever!!! 475cc Saline under the muscle is what I got, increased me from 32B to 34DD (sized today)

Shopping for bra after breast augmentation

Every one reacts differently. As a rule, 4-6 weeks should be enough time. I do tell my breast augmentation patients to just buy a few bras at week 4-6 and get more after a few more weeks just in case if the breast size changed again.

And finally, don't forget to donate your old bras to the needy. Enjoy your new breasts in good health.

Wait for the implants to mature

At one month you can buy a few bras, preferably without underwires.  The breast shape and size will change over the next 3 to 6 months.  I would not replace your entire wardrobe until it has been at least 6 months.

After Three to Four Months

Aftre three to four months, your breasts will have “dropped and fluffed” , meaning they will have settled and look more natural. You should go shopping then to find a better fitting bra.

Bra shopping after breast augmentation

Sounds like you are progressing well after your breast augmentation.  congratulations.  I generally clear my patients to go shopping 4-6 weeks after their surgery.  But please check with your PS for his/her recommendations.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Bra shopping after Breast Augmentation?

Congratulations on your recent surgery;  I'm glad to hear that you are please with the results. I would suggest that you avoid spending a lot of money on expensive bras  for an additional couple of months. Your breasts will be changing during this time period.

Shopping for a bra following surgery.

Hello, and thank you for this question. We generally recommend our patients shop for a bra approximately 4-6 weeks following their procedure. At that point the majority of the swelling should be gone and the breast have started to settle into place.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Bra Usage Following Breast Augmentation

In the vast majority of patients we utilize an athletic support bra for about three weeks following surgery. This helps minimize swelling and makes patients more comfortable. It also decreases the potential for displacement of the new breast implants within the newly formed pocket. At three weeks patients are able to switch to a standard bra without an underwire. After six to eight weeks, wound healing and muscle spasm should no longer be an issue. In most breast augmentation patients, it’s reasonable to resume the use of an underwire bra at this time.
It’s important to realize that the decision to use a sports bra following surgery depends on multiple factors. Each patient needs to be considered individually based on the specifics of their surgical procedure. Discuss this issue with your surgeon and he will be able to give you insight regarding when you will be able to buy new bras.

Timing for Buying New Bras After Breast Implants

Each surgeon has different guidelines for postoperative care, and each patient heals differently. Consult with your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

New Bra After Breast Augmentation

One can see the final settling after 30 days and can resume wearing underwire or no bra after 30 days.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

After breast augmentation weight 2 by new bras until the implants have dropped into their final position

Thank you for your question. Following breast augmentation implants can take 6-12 weeks to reach their final resting position. Buying a new bra is difficult because of the changing position of the implants during the first 6 or so weeks after breast augmentation. If possible I would wait to spend significant money on new bras until your breasts have moved down into a normal position.