How Long Does Tightness Last After Facelift?

Facelift initial tightness

+5

have had a facelift myself and the tightness was still present up to the 3 month mark..When the swelling subsided the tightness was gone.It never got too loose however and yours shouldnt either.

Tightness after a Facelift is Actually a Good Sign

+4

One of the goals of a facelift is to lift and tighten the skin of the face and neck.  In order for the results to be long lasting, tissues deeper than the skin have to be lifted and tightened.  This will causes a tight feeling in the face and neck which is a sign that the proper tissues were lifted.  This is an uncomfortable feeling after surgery, but I assure that over 6-12 weeks the feeling will greatly improve or resolve.  

Exercises that improve the range of motion of your neck can improve this feeling.  I typically do not recommend these movement unless the patient is cannot tolerate the tight feeling.  The neck exercises actually stretch out tightened tissues.  I like to keep the tissue as tight as possible for as long as possible. 

I hope this helps!  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after Facelift

+2

Tightness secondary to swelling and skin elevation will last several weeks. If you have decreased sensation especially around the your ears, this numbness, which will last 6-8 months, can also make the skin feel tight. All of this will improve as healing progresses.

Early "tightness" is good; long term tightness is not.

+2

For the first several weeks while there is swelling in the facial tissues the feeling of tightness is right and to be expected. 

However prolonged tightness after six weeks may need treatment.  This can be done by massage, sometimes the temporary use of anti-inflammation medications, and some excercises. 

It is very unusual for this to be a long term problem.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after facelift

+1
Your lips, mouth, cheeks, and back of your neck may feel tight for the first few days following a facelift, especially as swelling occurs. The tightness can last for a couple of months, but it will gradually go away. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

How Long Does Tightness Last After Facelift

+1

The tightness may last for several months following a facelift and is dependent to some extent upon techniques employed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tightness after Facelift

+1

It depends on what component of the facelift you are referring to, and to a large degree your anatomy and genetics. If you are asking how long a face lift will last, the longevity of a facelift depends on what technique a surgeon uses. If the muscle (SMAS) was lifted and tightened as well as the skin, on average a facelift should last 8 to 10 years. If just the skin was lifted and pulled, the skin will loose its elasticity/tightness relatively quickly and may only last a year or two. Consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to see what face lift technique is right for you.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness After Facelift

+1

Tightness usually resolves in 6-8 weeks and can last for up to 3 months, but that is all normal. It will feel tight, but will not look tight if done properly with a Lift & Fill facelift.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Tightness after a Facelift...

+1

Tightness after a facelift is completely normal and actually should be expected.  If you have a facelift and don't feel tight after surgery then the procedure will probably not have a long lasting result.  The deeper tissues should be tightened to counteract the effects of gravity and lift the jowls and neck.  That should put some tension on these tissues that you can feel.  Sometimes a sling is put in the neck to lift up the neck tissues and this is tightened as well.  However, there is nothing to worry about because all of the tightness will eventually relax.  Most of it resolves within 2 weeks, but some can persist for 3 months.  If you feel that something is not progressing normally with your procedure be sure to discuss it with your surgeon.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness after a facelift

+1

This is pretty much in line with general healing and I usually tell people that you will get 60% of your healing at 6 weeks and 90% around 6 months. That is just an average. Your tightness should go away at that same rate as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon