How Long Should Surgical Tape Stay on Incision After a Full Tummy Tuck?

I am 9days out of a full tummy tuck and just curious if I should just leave the surgical tape on and let it fall off on its own or peel it off after a certain amount of time? Nurse at the PS office said if it wasn't off after two weeks to peel it off. Not sure I feel comfortable doing that??? Others experiences and knowledge???? I have prosil to start when all is healed.

Surgical Tape on Incision #tummytuck

+2

Taping incisions has been shown to improve scar outcome. I have patients tape as long as they can tolerate doing it. In the beginning you want to make sure that the incisions are not wet beneath the tape because the skin can become macerated. In the end here you just need to ask what your surgeon likes to do and follow their advice. 

+2

Each surgeon has his own management protocol, but I must say that the practice  of leaving  the surgical tape staying on the incision  as long as possible is convenient and usually has the advantage of better quality and  aesthetics  of scar because this takes away stress to the wound and there is less traction

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

How long to keep an incision taped after an abdominoplasty

+2

You should follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon, if he wants the tape off at 2 weeks that is what you should do.  Personally I like to keep the incisions taped for the first three weeks,  we begin changing it daily after one week.  I think it keeps some of the early tension off of the incision and helps make a nicer scar.  

How long to keep surgical tape after Tummy Tuck

+2

Since you are already outside the time that your surgeon's office has set for how long they would like you to keep the tapes on, you have several options. One would be to remove them yourself. Since you don't feel comfortable with doing that, you could make an appointment to see your surgeon who could remove them for you. Additionally, you could just leave them until they fall off spontaneously (they will eventually). It will not cause any harm to leave them and you should wash and care for the skin normally until they fall off.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

Sugical tape after tummy tuck

+2

We cover the incision line with surgical wound tapes called steri-strips and apply them with an adhesive so patients can shower right away. I remove them in the office at two weeks. Your surgeon's routine might vary but the office should help you if you are uncomfortable removing them.

Should tape come off 10 days post-op following tummy tuck?

+2

The value of leaving tape, or Steri Strips, on the incisions is that they will protect the skin from having scabs and crusts knocked off which could make the scars worse.  There is no set protocol for removing tape, and you will find some surgeons who don't use it at all, and some who keep it on for a month.  Typically, if the tape is clean and dry, and the skin seems to be healing well underneath without infection, I will leave it on for 2 weeks or so to let the skin heal fully before removing it.  I will then begin something like your Prosil or another comparable silicone based ointment.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Tape on Incision Line after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

You will find that every practice has a different “protocol” when it comes to incision line care after tummy tuck surgery. Given your concerns about removing the tape, I'm sure your plastic surgeon will help you during an office visit.

+2

Sounds like you got the answer from your surgeon's office. The steristrips come off rather easily at two weeks, but if you are reluctant, call the office and set up an appointment. All the best. 

+1
You should follow the recommendation of your surgeon.  If you are uncomfortable with removing the tape yourself, then contact the surgeon's office and let them know.  It can be a very quick visit for you and if it eases your mind, then go for it.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Incision Tape After Tummy Tuck

+1

I require my patients to keep their incisions taped for the first month. Each person heals differently so on occasion I may have a patient where some a little longer. Your surgeon has their own thoughts on this so make sure you stay in touch with your PS. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD