How Long Until Results from Spironolactone (Aldactone) Can Be Seen and my Skin Starts to Clear Up?

I was prescribed 100MG tablets daily to help combat my acne. I'm curious approximately how long until I should start to see results.

Spironolactone For Acne

+6

Typically one can start to see improvement in their acne after being on spironolactone for 2 months with optimal results being seen around 3 to 5 months out. I usually put my spironolactone patients on an oral contraceptive (if not already on one) to avoid symptoms like irregular menses. Additionally, I will add topical treatments to the regimen as the combination of spironolactone with topicals is more effective. It is important that your potassium level is checked every 6 months while on spironolactone as it can effect the potassium levels. 

Time for spironolactone to work

+5

I will typically combine spironolactone with an oral contraceptive to reduce breakthrough bleeding, and I'll add topical therapy for a faster response. If only using spironolactone, then you should see some improvement by 2 months, and ideally wait 3-4 months for more optimal results. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon