Can a Male Use Spironolactone?

I asked this qn before here. Besides low dose accutane, a dermatologist on realself recommends spironolactone to reduce hormone levels and thus controls sebum. I am male, can I take it?

Bad idea

+2

Spironolactone blocks the action of androgens at the receptor sites in tissue. While it does reduce sebum production, it is not used in men because of the feminizing physical side effects, not to mention the loss of libido and sexual preformance. It takes higher dosages to get the benefit against acne and then you would have the side effects too. It is not worth it!

New Orleans Dermatologist

Spironolactone in a male

+1

Spironolactone is a diuretic (water pill) that was noted to have anti-androgenic effects. Other uses are for acne or facial hair as can be seen in PCO disease particularly in females where the anti-testosterone effects were desireable. In men these side effects are undesireable as outlinded by Dr. Lupo.

Spironolactone is not recommended for men with acne

+1

Spironolactone works in acne by blocking androgens, or male hormones.  That may have a fairly significant effect on sexual function in a man.  I do not recommend it.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon