How Long Prior to Breast Reduction Surgery Would You Roccomend Your Patient to Be off a Weight Loss/appetite Suppressant Med Lik

Stop taking Phentermine at least 1 to 2 weeks before surgery

+1

Most weight loss/appetite supressants are based on Phentermine.  You must be off Phentermine and similar supplements for at least one--and preferably two or more--weeks prior to any general anesthetic.  

Why?  Phentermine acts by causing release of catecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline), which "rev up" the heart in the same way that any major stress will do.  Since a general anesthetic and surgery also represent a major stress, use of phentermine at the time of surgery may be dangerous.  Phentermine may interfere with your ability to increase your heart rate in response to the stress of surgery, since you will have already depleted your catecholamines.

Weight loss meds and surgery

+1

Generally, I ask my patients to be off all weight loss supplements for 2-4 weeks prior  to surgery and for at least that long after surgery. Your own  surgeon will guide you as to his or her preferences. Concerns are interactions with anesthesia and healing after surgery. 

Best of luck to you

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Medications and surgery

+1

My office gives patients a 3 page list of medications to avoid that may interact with the surgery or anesthesia.  You shoudl talk to you surgeon and anesthesiologist about this first.

Diet pills and surgery.

+1

At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I ask that patients refrain from taking any type of diet pill for at least 2-3 weeks before and after surgery.  Thanks, Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Diet pills and surgery

+1

Hi there-

The answer will depend a bit on exactly which medication you are taking, but generally speaking you should be off of these medications for at least one week, and the longer the better.

Your best bet is to talk to your surgeon about his preferences and which exact medication it is.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Stopping Supplements?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

In our practice, during the preoperative visit ( typically done several weeks prior to surgery)  patients are given a list of do's and don'ts that will help them get through the surgery and recovery safely.   We review their medical history and obtain any necessary preoperative workup necessary. This may include EKG and/or laboratory values depending on the patient's specific situation.

"Dos and don'ts" regarding the use of medications,  alcohol, nicotine,  foods  etc. are reviewed in detail ((before and after surgery).

Generally, patients are asked to stay of weight loss/appetite suppressant medication for at least 2 weeks prior to surgery.

Always best to check with your chosen plastic surgeon.

Stopping Appetite Supressing Medications before Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Various appetite supression medications may react poorly with the medications given during anesthesia. It is best to tell your Plastic surgeon EVERYTHING you take, prescription, over the counter, vitamins and supplements. Some may cause you to bleed longer. Others will interact with the anesthesia medications. You should be off Aspirin, Advil, Alleve and like drugs for 3-4 weeks before surgery. Off birth control pills for a month before surgery (to reduce the rate of blood clots) and off diet pills for 4-5 days before surgery. Check with your surgeon.