I Have a Long Philtrum. Would a Lip Lift Help?

Hi, I've always had very thin lips and a pronounced space between my nose and lips. I was wondering if a bullhorn lip lift would help or if it would just make me look unnatural. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lip Lift, a good operation

A quintessential sign of facial youth and beauty is an appropriate sized upper lip and prominence of cupids bow (the middle of the upper lip). A lip lift will shorten a long lip like yours, but more importantly will create a prominent cupids bow. This is a great operation and requires about a month or two of patience for the scars to fade well. You are a good candidate for this.

Lip lift to shorten distance of upper lip skin

Thank you for your question and sharing your photo. Lip lifts can be an extremely rewarding procedure that can increase the fullness of the upper lip, give you a little more lip show. The amount of lift does depend on the starting length of the upper lip skin and the desired look afterwards. The incision is hidden at the border of the upper lip skin and base of the nose and spans the width of the nose. I perform these procedures under local anesthesia, but it can also be done with sedation or general anesthesia. Good luck.

Long Philtrum- Lip Lift

Certainly you can try some fillers / injectables, howerver am not sure they will be sufficient for correcting what appears to be a long upper lip that would benefit from the upper lip lift.  I love this procedure, and get quite consistent results.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift for Correction of Long Upper Lip

After reviewing your photos, I feel you are a very good candidate for a lip lift procedure.  The lip lift will address two concerns from your picture.  One, it will decrease the length of your upper lip, something you inquired about.  Secondly, your upper lip appears to be small.  A lip lift will provide for more "roll" to the red portion of the upper lip which would allow the lip to appear fuller.  The subnasal incision is an option, which when place in the proper anatomic creases can heal very nicely.  Also, an incision can be made at the red/white border of the lip, which will also provide for better "roll" to the red upper lip.  This incision also heals quite nicely when placed exactly at the red/white junction, although the incision can be camouflaged with lipstick during the healing process.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift

Lip lift will leave a scar under the nose. The quality of that scar can not be quaranteed . If you are willing to accept a scar then you will look better.

Try a filler to the upper lip, may give enough lift that you will like it.

and discuss your options the pros and cons then make your decision

Upper luip lift

In my opinion, given your smaller upper (red) lip and your long philtrum, I believe you would have a pleasing outcome to an upper lip lift using the bull's horn technique.

Sub-nasal lifts lifts work well iin good candidates

A long upper lip is essential for a subnasal lip lift so you might be a good candidate. To simulate a lip lift, place a Q-tip under the nose on each side of the philtrum and lift up the lip. If you like the contour and the amount of the red lip that shows when doing this, then a subnasal lip lift might be a good option. The width of the base of the nose relative to the horizontal width of the upper lip is important as the lip will only be lifted in the central portion. From your photo, you would likely be a good candidate. The scars with this procedure are inconspicuous.

Keith A. LaFerriere, MD
Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon