How Long Can a Patient Stay on Doxycycline? I'm Interested in the Safety Factor.

Long Term Use of Doxycycline

+2

This is a difficult question to answer.You can take this drug for years very safely. I do suggest you be under the care of a Board Certified Dermatologist.I monitor blook work yearly in my patients on long term antibiotics.

We do have other treatments you can use to diminish your neede for pills. We can use several different Lasers and light treatments.A variety of topical creams can be used  to control your acne as well as glycolic peels can help.Of course, you can also take Accutane to try to cure your acne.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Can You Be on Doxycycline Safely?

+1

This is a difficult question to answer as there really is no clear cut answer. In general, we prefer not to keep patients on oral medications such as doxycycline (antibiotics) for longer than necessary to treat and control skin conditions like acne and rosacea. That being said, it often takes many months or even longer to achieve and maintain good results with oral antibiotics.  I have had many acne and rosacea patients on different doses for different lengths of times, usually ranging anywhere from months to years. Most importantly, you should be under the care of a board-certified dermatologist who will educate you about treatment options and side effects, all the while helping you to achieve the best possible results. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/conditions.php?id=15

Doxycycline long term use safety

+1

There is no real answer to your question, we always like to limit the use of antibiotics to the least amount, but I have lots of patients with acne and rosacea that take doxycycline in various doses and frequencies for years safely.  There are some side effects to watch out for and you should discuss that with your doctor directly.  There are also other things to use to try to minimize the antibiotics like creams, chemical peels, lasers, lights, other medications like birth control pills and accutane.