How long till my nose will be fully healed after rhinoplasty? Is it swelling or do I need revision? (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty a year ago to remove a hump on the bridge of my nose. My doctor also corrected a deviated septum and rounded the tip. Before the surgery, I expressed to my doctor that I was happy with my front profile. After surgery, the hump is removed and my side profile looks great! Though my nose is certainly getting less and less swollen, it no longer has the bony definition it once had. Is it a matter of being patient and allowing it to deal further or do I need to consider revision?

Time is needed for final results to be obvious

+1

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Swelling One Year after Rhinoplasty

+1
Almost all of the swelling, especially in the bridge, has resolved one year after rhinoplasty. If you're not satisfied consult with your surgeon to  share your thoughts and consider a revision.

At one year, it is likely that most of the swelling is gone

+1
Given that your skin appears fair and reasonable thin, it is likely that most of your swelling has resolved.  If you feel that the nose is wider than you would like, it may be time to consider a revision.  The upper aspect of the nose can likely be narrowed through osteotomies to reposition the bones inward.  Hope this helps!

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon