How Long is Too Long to Wait to Drain an Abdominal Seroma? I Am Almost 3 Weeks Post Op and Ten Days Post Seroma.

I was out of town when the seroma developed. I just got back and the dr. will drain it tomorrow but I had to wait ten days because I was away. Is this too long and have I jeapordized having a good outcome because of the 10-day wait? It developed my first day out of town; I think there is a quite a bit of fluid sloshinga round my lower abdomen right now. I had a hematoma on flank which seems to have fully resolved on its own, did this cause the fluid though?

+2

Some seromas last for months so don't worry about a few days. Most resolve in a few weeks and don't cause any long term problems.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Seroma Treatment

+2

There really is no right or wrong with seroma treatment as long as you are followed closely with your surgeon.  I prefer to treat seromas when then appear or as soon as possible, but sometimes circumstances like yours occur and patients patients do just fine after one drainage.  Occasionally patient's will need additionally drainage.  Seromas, in general, are area, but when they do occur are easily treated with drainage and rarely require more extensive intervention.

David Shafer, MD

Abdominal seroma treatment

+2

Abby, 

I am sorry you are having trouble with a seroma. I do not think you will cause any long term problem with the result of your surgery. That said, the delay may make treating the seroma a bit more difficult. I find that if I can drain the seroma quickly, it resolves faster.  You will have a resolution of the seroma, and hopefully it will not take too long. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Seroma treatment

+1

Please followup with your PS as scheduled.  I wouldn't worry.  It may require a few treatments to get your seroma under control.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Seroma Drainage

+1

It is better to drain your seroma sooner rather than later, but one to two weeks probably will not impact your final outcome as long as the seroma resolves completely.

David Stoker, MD

Seroma drainage

+1

Usually once we discover seroma, we would like to aspirate the fluid relatively soon afterward.  As seroma stays in the body for a period of time, our body will form capsule (bursa) around the fluid; this can lead to a chronic problem.  Now that you are back in town, follow up with your plastic surgeon closely.  He/she will treat you as warranted.. 

I double that a hematoma caused your seroma.

Sugene Kim, MD

Seroma after Tummy Tuck

+1

I do think that your seroma can be safely treated with prompt attention by your plastic surgeon.   Generally, the longer the seroma has been present, the more difficult it is to heal.

I would recommend staying in town as much as possible until this resolves to allow your plastic surgeon to closely monitor your recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Post abdominoplasty seromas should be drained early and often.

+1

A seroma should be aspirated as soon as it is diagnosed. Frequent aspirations will shorten the duration of the problem.

It's fine to drain a tummy tuck seroma at 3 weeks.

+1

Hi.

If it keeps recurring, though, we have an interventional radiologist insert  a drain under ultrasound control.  Because the seroma can organize and become internal scar tissue (that is, a lump).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Seroma treatment

+1

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck seroma (fluid collection).

1. Irritation from the hematoma may have caused the seroma.
  2. Or a long period of sitting after a tummy tuck.
  3. I drain tummy tuck seromas 2-3 x a week until the fluid stops forming.
  4. It may take 6 weeks. Don't worry - these things happen. Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD