How Long Should I Leave my Dissolvable Stitch Alone?

My dissolvable stitches are starting to pop out, I have two so far. One has been exposed about 2 weeks now and PS said to just let it be. Now I have another one. It is white and pretty strong. I dont think I can pull it as it seems to have two ends sticking out so I assume its in a knot. Can these stitches leave holes? Should I insist that my PS remove them? Im sure I will start having others pop out. They are freaking me out. I am 4 weeks Tummy Tuck post op

Spitting Dissolvable Sutures Can Be Removed

There should not be a problem with you trimming or removing one or more of your dissolvable stitches which have spit.  This happens not infrequently, especially when the knots of sutures have been placed very close to the skin.  The sutures are obviously not holding tissue together if they have spit out.

Call your ps

I doubt you got your surgery for free, thus your doctor works for you. Go see him, let him remove the stitches and answer your question. It should be included in the fee he charged you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Dissolvable stitches poking through skin?

If the suture ends are erupting through the skin, I have my patients come in so that I can pull it out because it can be irritating and upsetting for the patient.  This is not uncommon and generally not a problem unless they become infected.   If you see a knot and it is not fraying/falling apart when you pull on it, I would ask your surgeon or his/her staff to take care of it. 

Michelle Spring, MD, FACS
Glacier View Plastic Surgery

Spitting stitches after tummy tuck

What you are experiencing, while it can be somewhat alarming, is extremely common, not serious, and easily remedied.  The tummy tuck incision is often closed with a series of buried, dissolvable stitches, each of which has a small knot.  It's very common for your body to have some difficulty breaking down these knots, and for it to push them out of the incision.  They are easily removed in the office, with minimal discomfort and likely no consequence in the healing of the incision or the final appearance of the scar.  I'd recommend scheduling an appointment with your surgeon to have this issue taken care of.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Spitting stitches following tummy tuck

You should definitely consult your surgeon.  I would not advise you to trim, cut or remove any stitches on your own.  

Disolvable sutures from a tummy tuck

It is very common for dissolvable sutures to work their way up to the skin and to start to come out! sometimes they cause inflammation points, similar to a pimple, at the site of exit. I recommend patients to jut cut the exposed part of the suture.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Dissolvable sutures protruding through skin

This is called suture spitting and is caused by deep sutures placed close to the skin or a localized reaction preventing the sutures from dissolving, therefore making them rise to the surface. 

These can be easily fixed by your plastic surgeon.   Generally speaking, if they are protruding beyond the skin edges I remove them.  If they are visible but not sticking out, I try to leave them as I do not want to create a hole by tugging on the suture.

Dr. GIll

Paul S. Gill, MD

Remove spitting sutures

Spitting sutures can make for poor scars if left sticking through the skin.  The wound was  closed in several layers and it should not be a problem to remove the sutures that are poking through the skin after a few weeks.  If you are "freaked out" I would recommend you have your surgeon remove them.  If he won't ( I don't know why he would refuse)  then cleanse your skin with an antibacterial soap like Dial or Lever, wipe with peroixide and have someone remove the sutures with small scissors that have also been cleansed.  Where you see two ends pull up on one of them and cut one side only below the knot. Apply an antibiotic ointment and small bandage for a day or two. 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Dissolvable sutures spitting

What you have are "spitting sutures" that can make their way to the surface. Usually by 3-4 weeks these sutures can be cut short or removed.

Stiches after tummy tuck

Don't worry, there is no reason to "freak out" since this is a common event after a tummy tuck with absorbable sutures. In most cases, the sites of the sutures heal fine. If this really bothers you, it is OK to ask your surgeon if they can be removed in the office.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS