How Long Should I Leave my Dissolvable Stitch Alone?

My dissolvable stitches are starting to pop out, I have two so far. One has been exposed about 2 weeks now and PS said to just let it be. Now I have another one. It is white and pretty strong. I dont think I can pull it as it seems to have two ends sticking out so I assume its in a knot. Can these stitches leave holes? Should I insist that my PS remove them? Im sure I will start having others pop out. They are freaking me out. I am 4 weeks Tummy Tuck post op

Spitting Dissolvable Sutures Can Be Removed

+4

There should not be a problem with you trimming or removing one or more of your dissolvable stitches which have spit.  This happens not infrequently, especially when the knots of sutures have been placed very close to the skin.  The sutures are obviously not holding tissue together if they have spit out.

Call your ps

+4
I doubt you got your surgery for free, thus your doctor works for you. Go see him, let him remove the stitches and answer your question. It should be included in the fee he charged you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Remove spitting sutures

+3

Spitting sutures can make for poor scars if left sticking through the skin.  The wound was  closed in several layers and it should not be a problem to remove the sutures that are poking through the skin after a few weeks.  If you are "freaked out" I would recommend you have your surgeon remove them.  If he won't ( I don't know why he would refuse)  then cleanse your skin with an antibacterial soap like Dial or Lever, wipe with peroixide and have someone remove the sutures with small scissors that have also been cleansed.  Where you see two ends pull up on one of them and cut one side only below the knot. Apply an antibiotic ointment and small bandage for a day or two. 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Disolvable sutures from a tummy tuck

+2

It is very common for dissolvable sutures to work their way up to the skin and to start to come out! sometimes they cause inflammation points, similar to a pimple, at the site of exit. I recommend patients to jut cut the exposed part of the suture.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Dissolvable sutures protruding through skin

+2

This is called suture spitting and is caused by deep sutures placed close to the skin or a localized reaction preventing the sutures from dissolving, therefore making them rise to the surface. 

These can be easily fixed by your plastic surgeon.   Generally speaking, if they are protruding beyond the skin edges I remove them.  If they are visible but not sticking out, I try to leave them as I do not want to create a hole by tugging on the suture.

Dr. GIll

Paul S. Gill, MD

Dissolvable sutures spitting

+2

What you have are "spitting sutures" that can make their way to the surface. Usually by 3-4 weeks these sutures can be cut short or removed.

Stiches after tummy tuck

+2

Don't worry, there is no reason to "freak out" since this is a common event after a tummy tuck with absorbable sutures. In most cases, the sites of the sutures heal fine. If this really bothers you, it is OK to ask your surgeon if they can be removed in the office.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

When to remove dissolving stitches?

+1
If any dissolving stitches work their way to the surface, I prefer to remove them within a few days.  It will speed the healing process.  

David Stoker, MD

Once the Wound has Reached its Maximal Strength the Suture Dissolves

+1

When plastic surgeons perform abdominoplasty surgery it’s not unusual for them to use absorbable sutures.  These sutures are chosen for both their biologic and mechanical characteristics.  The ideal suture is strong enough and last long enough to prevent spread of the scar.  Once the wound has reached its maximal strength the ideal suture dissolves and disappears. 

Unfortunately, the body recognizes this foreign material and occasionally works it to the surface before it can dissolve.  Under these circumstances, the stitch is no longer performing its function and can cause complications such as infection.  For this reason, sutures should be removed whenever they break through the skin. 

When this situation occurs it’s important to consult your surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to remove these sutures without difficulty.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Spitting Sutures

+1
Dissolvable sutures sometimes work their way to the surface and "spit" or come through the skin and act like a splinter and can fester.  It is recommended they be removed to allow the skin to heal and can be evaluated by your plastic surgeon at any time.