How Long Can I Get Back to Weight Training After Gyno Surgery? Excision Only

I am 11 days post op and have pretty much zero swelling and only very slight yellow bruising on my left side. I had my glands removed using the semi circle on the bottom of the nipple method and did not need any lipo.

Avoid Heavy Activity for 2 Weeks After Liposuction of Gynecomastia

I have my patients refrain from straining, lifting heavy objects, and repetitive arm and shoulder motion for at least 2 weeks after  gynecomastia liposuction.  Also, using your pectoral chest muscles excessively, such as doing push ups, or bench pressing is also enough activity to cause bleeding in the early post-op  period, so I would not recommend such activity until at least 14 days post-op.

I hope this answer helps.   Good luck!

Weight Training After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the post. Glad to here that your recovery is going smoothly. Your question is one which should have been discussed pre-surgery. Every surgeon has their own protocols for return to exercise. The general concept is to avoid excess swelling, fluid collection, or even bleeding by exercising too hard and too soon. In my practice I typically have patients refrain from exercise for 4 to 6 weeks but adjust it based on how each individual is progressing.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

I typically recommend that my patients refrain from upper body exercise for at least 6 weeks after this type of surgery.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Ask your surgeon

You should ask your surgeon for their advice, as they have the specific details pertaining to your surgery. Generally speaking, it is about a month or so.

Weight Training after Male Breast Reduction

In general, after male breast reduction, give yourself at least 6 weeks before hitting the gym hard.  As a bodybuilder I can understand the desire to work out, but you want to have the best results.  You do not want to get a fluid collection or hematoma by resuming activities before you are healed.  Kenneth Hughes, MD male breast reduction Los Angeles, CA

Male breast reduction

it is always best to discuss this type of question with the surgeon who performed the surgery. Other surgeons may give you answers you want to hear, but they dont  know the particulars of your situation and may not give you the best advice

Joseph A. Russo, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Weight training after gynecomastia surgery

Each patient and procedure is different. I tell my patients to wait six weeks before resuming weight training. In some cases depending on how they are healing I allow them to start exercising earlier, but no weights! Refraining from cardio or aerobic activity will help reduce swelling. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia, male breasts

What did your surgeon tell you.  You may be able to get back to full activity but I am sure you were given instructions which would be based on what surgery was done

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after gynecomastia surgery

Good question. You really need to check in with your own surgeon. I generally allow my patients to return to limited exercise at three weeks and full exercise at six weeks.

Return to training after gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for your question. This is probably the most common inquiry from patients undergoing this kind of surgery. Like in your case, healing tends to be quick and uneventful. In my practise I suggest patients wait 4 weeks from the time of surgery before they return to their normal weight training routine. Training can be rough on your tissues so it's best to allow your chest to heal before taking it to this level.

Good luck and happy to hear you are healing so well.

Ronald G. Zelt, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon