How Long After a Tummy Tuck Do I Have to Wait to Sit out at the Pool in a 2 Piece?

I would like to have a tummy tuck sooner than later, but with summer approaching fast I'm concerned about the sun and the pool. How long before I can take my kids to the pool and lay out or swim after surgery?

YOu can get in the pool in 3 weeks after a TT easily

+2

As a swimmer myself I often encourage my patients to return to the pool asap.  I dont encourage diviing but do approve swimming .   This non impact cardio along with the clean water results in heathy wounds and happy , healthy patients.   Go for it!   of course you must first check with your board certified ASAPS member plastic surgeon.

Tummy tuck and pool

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, your incisions need to be perfect, all drains removed and the drain site healed perfect, and the muscle repair needs to be mature with no areas of fluid collection. If the incisions are not perfect, or drain site, then you are at risk of infection in pools, hot tubs, oceans/lakes. You don't have to have perfect incisions to shower, just not submerge in bath or the above. However, I ask my patients to wear their abdominal binder non-stop, except for showers, for at least 4 weeks, so unless you want to hang out at the beach with your binder, then no beach.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

When can I sit at the pool after a tummy tuck.

+1
I recommend my patients to wait 6 weeks before getting in contaminated water and to be very aggressive with the use of sun block on all the incisions for the first year.

Patricia Yugueros, MD

Swim and sun after tummy tuck

+1

I advise my patients to wait until all their wounds are completely healed before swimming (usually 3 weeks). But, I also advise them to avoid sunning or tanning their stomach for several months.

And if you are by the pool or in the sun, it's best to keep your scars covered with tape and wear sunblock with a strong SPF on your abdomen. The skin is more sensitive after surgery and can burn more easily, and if your scars get tanned they can stay dark permanently. 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon