How Long After Having Had an IPL Treatment Can I Expose my Self to the Sun?

I have recently had my second IPL session for hair removal on my face and will probably have one more session. I was wondering how long after my last session do I have to wait before being able to go the beach and tan?

Tanning after photofacial for hair removal

+1

I would say about 1 week after IPL, you could go out in the sun and tan, if you must.  Sun protection is critical to skin cancer prevention and to anti-aging, so I would always recommend NOT tanning.

No tanning after IPL

+1

I know your question is a valid question, but I am going to ask you a question instead.  Why do you want to go tanning at the beach after IPL?

IPL is used to decrease or remove sun spots, melasma, dilated blood vessels, all of which can be caused or exacerbated by the sun.

In addition to that, sun exposure increases the risk of skin cancer, as well as wrinkling of the skin.

I would recommend not tanning after IPL at all.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon