How Long After a Facelift Can I Color my Hair?

It's ben three weeks today for a full face lift - scabbing along the incisions but healing nicely. Can I color my hair in this area?

Color your hair 4 to 6 weeks after your face lift

+2

I generally advise my patients to wait 4 to 6 weeks to color their hair after a face lift. As the chemicals used for coloring are very irritating, I want to ensure  that the incisions are well healed. If there is a delay in healing, I recommend waiting longer. Most hair dressers in my area are well familiar with the incisions of a face lift and can apply the dye limiting exposure to these areas for the first application. 

As part of our pre-operative instructions package for a face lift, I generally advise my patients to dye their hair 7 to 10 days prior to surgery. This minimizes the inconvenience of having to wait the 4 to 6 weeks prior to  applying color. Any closer to surgery risks an irritated scalp at the time of the procedure.  

I would recommend discussing this, and any other question regarding your recovery, with your Plastic Surgeon.

Best regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Color hair after facelift

+1
I usually allow my patients to resume coloring their hair at four to six weeks after surgery. Check in with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Coloring Hair Following Facelift

+1

Normally, it is best to have all of the wounds associated with the facelift healed before chemicals used to color the hair are applied. This may be as early as two weeks. It can take longer if there is any delayed healing in these areas.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3-4 Weeks Until Wounds From Facelift Heal Before Coloring Hair

+1

The ability of patients to apply makeup and fix their hair following facelift surgery are important benchmarks in their recovery process. For many patients, there is no recovery until these activities can be resumed. Facelift patients are obviously motivated by appearance, and for this reason, hair color is extremely important to them.

After facelift surgery, we recommend waiting until all the wounds have healed before proceeding with coloring the hair. This usually takes about three to four weeks. Once this point has been reached, patients can safely resume coloring their hair.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

3-4 weeks enough time to color

+1

In most situations 3-4 weeks is enough time to color hair.  If unsure it is always best to check with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Coloring hair after a facelift

+1

Usually ladies will color their hair right before surgery and after all healing is done.  No scabs should be present so you need a couple more weeks.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Coloring hair after facelift

+1

You are about at the right time. I usually let my patients get their hair colored 3-4 weeks after surgery if everything looks okay.

Ask and follow the advice of your surgeon befiore coloring hair after facelift

+1

Always follow your surgeons advice before coloring your hair after a facelift.

I wait until incisions are healed after a facelift -usually 3-4 weeks

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

How long after your facelift surgery you can dye my hair?

+1

I usually recommend my facelift patients to wait for at least 4 weeks before putting any chemical on their hair. If there is slight delay healing, these chemicals further delay the healing process. Talk to your surgeon first before dying your hair.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Hair coloring after facelift

+1

It is advisable to wait until the incisions from your facelift are completely closed and not susceptible to the toxic effects of hair coloring agents. Usually this means at least 4 weeks or longer, and always check with your plastic surgeon first.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD