How Long After Breast Augmentation Can I Go Back to Work?

I am a waitress so I am constantly walking & moving around. I work at a very fast pace restaurant where we do not get many breaks...My job also requires me to lift things such as trays, tubs full of dishes, ice buckets, & also I have to mop. I'm pretty sure I can get someone to help me out when I return to work so that I won't have to do all of that since I know it will be a while before I can lift. I was thinking maybe 5 days off...Would you recommend that or should I get more time off?

Back to Work after Augmentation

+3
Dear Momof2,
Thank you for your post. There are a lot of variables to account for after breast augmentation and what to expect in the recovery process. The following is an outline based on some of these variables. 

1. Pain: In general, breast augmentation is tolerated very well. When the implant is placed sub-facial or sub-glandular, i.e. above the muscle, there is very little pain post-operative. The muscle is left in place and in general, when I perform this technique, women have surgery on Friday, and are back to work (as long as they are not lifting heavy objects) on Monday. When the implant is placed sub-muscular, then there more pain and soreness as the muscle has been elevated which is similiar to having a pulled or torn muscle. This creates more swelling and takes longer to heal. In these case, most women take at least a week off of work.

2. Swelling and Size: It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still have a pretty good idea of your final size at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months though, as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. As stated above, going below the muscle tends to produce more swelling and lasts for longer.

3. Scars: The natural healing process undergoes multiple phases, but in general, the first phase is the inflamatory phase were any scar will be firmer and may turn red or darker initially. This tends to last for 3 months. After this phase is the resolution phase where the scar inflammation goes away and all scars will be at their baseline at 1 year. The scars are mostly at their baseline at 6 months. The scars should be minimal if placed well, and sutured properly. I also like to protect the scars from stretching or widening in the first few months with surgical skin tape. The incision will be weak at first and susceptible to stretch or widening.

4. Massage: Your doctor may recommend early or late massage, depending on what is trying to be accomplished. In general, early massage is to manipulate a high implant or stretch a constricted area, such as in tubular breast syndrome, and late massage is to help fight capsular contraction. Search 'Breast Massage' to find my recommendations on this.

5. Exercise: In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity.

6. Infection: Infection after augmentation is very rare. Most surgeon give post-operative antibiotics to help protect you from infection.

7. Hematoma/Seroma: These are also very rare after augmentation. If the pocket for the implant that is made during surgery is a hand in glove fit, then there is very little room for any fluid to collect. It is important that the surgical pocket be free of any bleeding prior to closure to keep a hematoma from happening. If a hematoma does occur, it is important to drain the hematoma to prevent capsular contraction.

8. Sleeping: I ask women to sleep on their backs with their post-operative bra on after surgery to keep the implants in their proper position until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal.

I hope this has answered most of your post-operative questions.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+3

I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  This means to slowly resume your exercise routines and advance in a step by step fashion.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Returning Back To Work After Breast Augmentation

+2

Dear Momof 2beauties, The first rule to know about returning back to work is that there are no clear rules.  Every patient heals differently and every job has it own unique requirements.  Therefore, much of what has been written so far are generalizations.  In my practice, most servers can return back to performing light duty in 5 to 7 days with delaying the heavier lifting activities until 3-4 weeks after surgery.  Some patients move a bit quicker in the process and some move a bit slower. Of course, it is best if you discuss this with your plastic surgeon and your work supervisors before your surgery to minimize any surprises.  Hope this helps and best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work after breast augmentation

+2

Many of my breast augmentation patients could return to waiting tables in 1 week if they do not have to lift much.  From the way you describe your work I would recommend at least 2 weeks.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery following breast augmentation

+2

Recovery following breast augmentation surgery will vary from patient to patient. Pain thresholds, the pocket used and the patient's job will all influence discussions regarding return to work. I always like to be safe and cautious on behalf of my patients and therefore I always recommend a 'worse case scenario' rather than the best case scenario. Generally speaking this will range between 1-2 weeks.

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Its important to take enough time off work after breast augmentation

+2

It is very important to take enough time off of work after breast augmentation to allow tissues to heal and the capsules to form properly.  I think the temptation is to minimize breast augmentation surgery and make people feel like it is just a small thing, and we are great surgeons who can get them back to normal life the next day, or even the next week.  The truth is that it is real surgery, we really cut muscles and other tissues to do it, those tissues can bleed or form scar tissue or get infected, and premature return to activity increases the chances that one of those things will happen.  Just last week I was covering for a colleague who was out of town, and his office called with a patient who was 10 days out from breast augmentation and noticed sudden swelling and pain in her left breast after shampooing her own hair the night before.  The original surgery itself was done well, but she used too much force on her muscle, or stretched it a bit too much just washing her hair, and it started bleeding.  We took her back to surgery that day and removed some blood from around the implant.  This is an usual occurrence, but I tell you about it because it points out the need to protect the tissues while they are in the early stages of healing.  Anyone with a strenuous or physically demanding job, including mopping, lifting, pushing, overhead reaching, and the like should take special care.  This includes people in jobs like waitresses/servers, hairstylists, nurses, military and police personnel, warehouse and retail workers, production line workers, and exotic dancers.  If you have a strenuous job like that, you should take at least a full week off of work, and then when you return from that you should be on modified, or light duties in which you can avoid those types of activities that put a strain on your chest muscles, for at least another 2 - 3 weeks.  For instance, servers can do hostessing or taking orders with helpers carrying trays and bussing tables so that they don't have to lift or reach.  I know this may sound like overkill to some, but the reality is that hematomas, or bleeding around implants, can, and does, happen even 3 or 4 weeks after surgery.  I know, because I have seen it more than once.  Many people do fine with return to activity sooner, but in my opinion, they are tempting fate, and risking something like this happening.  These guidelines apply mainly to submuscular placement of implants, and I would expect those time frames to be reduced by about a week or so if the implants are above the muscle.  They are also MY guidelines, and your own surgeon may have his or her own guidelines based on his or her experience.  Check with your surgeon first before finalizing your work schedule.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

In about 3 weeks or so

+1
Generally, I advise patients that they can start doing more intense physical activity at 3 weeks, and upper body strength exercises at 6 weeks after surgery.You can probably return to work in two to three weeks if your recovery is going well, but I would recommend you don't lift anything heavy until 6 weeks after surgery.

However, you should ask your surgeon as they may have different guidelines. A good supportive sports bra will help reduce swelling.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Time off Work for Waitress

+1
Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for recovery. Typically, patients can return to light activity after 5 to 7 days. More strenuous activity may take 3 to 6 weeks. Consult with your board certified surgeon as he or she will understand the scope of the surgery and the specifics of you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to your specific line of work. He/she will know how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Generally, most patients are able to return to the “desk job” within 5 to 7 days. More strenuous work, for example involving lifting or extensive upper body movement, will require more time off.

When can I return to work waiting tables?

+1

Patients who have a desk job can typically go back to work in 4-5 days with restrictions.  Waiting tables is a much more physical job and I understand your finances depend on tips, so I think taking anywhere from 5-7 days off will suffice being that you are restricted in server responsibilities with light side work.   No reaching above your shoulders for glasses, etc for about 2 weeks, no lifting of anything 15lbs or heavier for 3-4 weeks and gradually working it back in.  Listen to your body, if it still hurts, don't do it for another week.  Take more trips to bring out food, etc.  You will feel fine after a few days so you have to remind yourself that you just had surgery and don't want to cause any complications and possible revisionary surgery by going back to strenuous work too soon. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon