Can IPL Laser Hair Removal Affect Collagen in Skin?

I am very keen to have IPL laser hair removal on my legs/bikini line etc. but as I seem to have some collagen issues with prematurely stretchy and dry, wrinkly skin (which I feel is partly attributable to sun damage - I am 25 and under investigation for Ehlers Danlos), I am concerned that the laser may age the skin or affect collagen. Is this possible? I don't want to 'age' my skin any more than I have to. Many thanks.

Does laser hair removal affect collagen

+1

IPL isn't the most current type of laser hair removal - it tends to take much longer and be more painful than other laser hair removal devices - diode, alexandrite, etc. With that being said, IPL doesn't negatively affect collagen, so you have no worries. If you are only 25 and already have this much sun damage though, please make sure you are wearing daily sunscreen and stop any sunbathing. Additionally, IPL is sensitive to pigment, so if you are tanned pre-procedure it could create more of a risk and less of a result for your treatment!

IPL laser hair removal and collagen

+1

IPL has been used for laser hair removal (even though it is not a laser and doesn't work as well), and it will not adversely affect collagen synthesis. If anything, you may in fact tighten the skin and even stimulate collagen a little bit. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon