Can Liposuction and Tummy Tuck Be Done at the Same Time?

Liposuction and tummy tuck can be done at the same time

+7

Liposuction and Tummy Tucks ARE routinely done at the same time, BUT certain considerations apply.

There are 2 reasons WHY this is even an issue:

1. Blood Supply injury - The tummy skin has 3 major sources of oxygen providing arterial blood supply. From the groin (Femoral) arteries on both sides, from several rows of blood vessels that go forward through the tummy muscles like a peach orchard (PERFORATORS) supplying the fat and skin above and from the continuation of several vessels that normally run under the lower ribs. All three networks inter-communicate in keeping the skin alive.

When a tummy tuck is done, the blood supply from the groins is divided followed by the blood supply from the perforating vessels - leaving ONLY the extensions from the under the rib (intercostal) branches to supply everything.

With no other Back-up arterial blood supply systems, any injuries or narrowing (as seen in smokers) in these vessels may result in death of the tummy skin under the belly button and wound separation.

THEREFORE - while we routinely would do liposuction of the back and hips we either do not liposuction the areas of the tummy which had been or will be lifted OR if we do liposuction such areas, the surgeon is VERY careful and does not liposuction as much as he would otherwise.

2. Operative Time. The longer the surgery the higher the risk of complications. The most ominous being clots in the deep veins (DVT) which if they become detached, can travel to the lungs (Pulmonary embolism) and may even be fatal.

Yes, you can combine them but should you?

+5

Liposuction and abdominoplasty (especially if it is minimal) can be done at the same time. However, the question arises should it?

The questions that need to be answered include:

1) By combining them, what is your total expected time under anesthesia? It should be at a safe level well within your state's parameters.

2) The liposculpture benefits are often minimized if the two procedures are done at the same time.  To achieve the optimal result, it is often best to remove the fatty deposits using liposuction. Then, wait until you see how the body heals. Once this healing is done then you can better sculpt the body using the tummy tuck procedure.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Liposuction at the same time as a Tummy Tuck is definitely possible

+4

The combination of a liposuction with the a traditional tummy tuck has become a very common procedure. It is safe to combine the two procedures mainly to address the hip and flank areas. This is a very effective way to extenuate the contour of the waist along with the abdominoplasty. It is also important to realize that there is usually a limit on how much fat can be remove in a combined procedure. Patient should have consultations with  a Plastic Surgeon that is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and discuss this combination and have their questions answered by a well trained professional.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Liposuction and tummy tuck at the same time

+4

Yes and no.

Yes, you can liposuction other areas of the body at the time of tummy tuck.

No, you cannot liposuction the abdomen.

Why? When you do a tummy tuck (this is a full tummy tuck, not a wedge or miniabdominoplasty), you create what is called a skin flap. This interferes with the blood supply to the abdominal skin.  You then pull that skin, stretch it, and sew it.  This is a lot for your skin to do. 

It is not safe to beat up your abdominal skin flap by doing liposuction at the same time.  It is too much for it to handle.  It is like taking newly laid sod grass and having a football game on it on a rainy muddy day.  What would happen to that new grass? Yup. It would die.  And that is what can happen to your abdominal skin if you beat it up too much at one time. 

Lauren Greenberg, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck and liposuction- minimizing risk

+4

Abdominoplasty and liposuction are usually combined. The issue is to combine them safely and minimize risk to the patient.

There are areas that are safe to do liposuction during an abdominoplasty, and areas that are more risky. Particularly around the belly button and in the lower abdomen, where the blood supply is the worst, experienced surgeons are very cautious.

Also the health of the patient as a whole is important. An experienced surgeon might perform liposuction in several areas in a healthy young patient but not in an older patient with potential health issues.

Surgeons worry about the blood supply being adequate, and about the safety of the operation as a whole.

A very experienced board certified plastic surgeon is your best bet to answer these questions in detail.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Liposuction with a tummy tuck

+3
Many plastic surgeons combine liposuction with their abdominoplasties. This is great to treat the hip area or "muffin top" as people call it. In addition, it can be used to thin out the fat of the upper abdomen that will be moved down in a tummy tuck. But this must be done with some caution so as not to create a problem with healing of the lower abdominal tummy tuck incision. Liposuction of any other area(like the arms, thighs, back) is safe to combine with a tummy tuck and is often performed. Hope this helps.

Kendall Roehl, MD

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+3

I routinely perform liposuctioning at the time of a tummy tuck to treat the waist and flanks. The allows me to not only contouring the front of the abdomen, but also smooth out any love handles. However, I would caution any liposuctioning centrally as this could precipitate a healing problem. If there is any excess fat centrally in the abdomen, I would recommend performing the liposuctioning at a different time that your tummy tuck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Liposuction with tummy tuck

+2
I commonly combine liposuction with a tummy tuck with great results. I most commonly liposuction the "love handle" area to bring the waist in. I will liposuction the abdomen itself, but not as aggressively as if I were not doing a tummy tuck at the same time.

Grant Stevens, MD

Mommy Makeover

+2

Yes - it's very common to combine a tummy tuck with some liposuction, particularly of the waist or flank area.

Although some surgeons will perform lipo of the front of the abdomen at the same time as the tummy tuck, this combination is controversial. Some reports show a higher risk of complications if that is done, so I don't recommend it.

Thomas Fiala, MD

+2

Yes, liposuction and tummy tuck can be done at the same time.  In fact, there are few patients who do not need and benefit from liposuction at the same time as the tummy tuck.  I routinely perform liposuction on all areas of the abdomen and flanks that benefit from additional thinning at the same time as the tummy tuck.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD