What is the Minimum Recovery Time for a Mommy Makeover?

I would like to have a breast lift, a breast augmentation and a tummy tuck w/ liposuction on the sides next year. I work at a desk job and have to request the time off. To give an idea, I was up and cleaning about 5 days after my c-section, although it would still get sore at the end of the day. How soon can I be at my desk job? Is 10 days sufficient? I sit down most of the day and if it helps, I am 24 years old, 5'4" and weighing 116 pounds.

Give yourself at least 6 weeks for full physical recovery after Mommy Makeover surgery

After any major surgery such as a Mommy Makeover, you need to give yourself the time needed for complete physical recovery.

In most instances, a Mommy Makover includes a breast lift/implants (or breast reduction), a tummy tuck and/or liposuction (just like you are seeking!).

I counsel my patients to take 6 weeks off aggressive physical activity such as exercise, and to take at least 2-3 weeks off work, longer if they can!

Becoming too active immediately after surgery can increase the risk of complications such as hematoma (bleeding), wound healing problems, increased bruising and pain!

If you need to work from home or at a desk, be sure to get up and move around at least each hour to encourage circulation in your legs and lungs, and be able to delegate any lifitng more than 5 pounds to others in the workplace or your family for the first 4 weeks.

You are planning to invest a great deal of time, effort, energy and money into your surgery - be sure to also invest the appropriate effort in your recovery!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.