Liposuction Revision for Lumps, Fibrosis, Fat Pockets?

I had Liposuction of abdomen and waist 5 months ago, still have lumpiness, fibrosis and small pockets of fat. I had 12 sessions of lympathic massage, have been very diligent with diet and exercise and am not overweight although my waistline suggests otherwise. Will this resolve itself, or, if not what are my options? Would I have to have another surgery? Could this be repaired by the doctor without a full redo? I am 42, measure 38-28-36.

Lumps after liposuction can be smoothed with laser techniques

+2

Lumps and fibrosis after liposuction can be improved with revisional surgery.

I have had very good luck smoothing post liposuction contour deformities and lumps using the new SlimLipo laser liposuction (see pictures).

You can read more in the reference below.

+1
Thank you for your question!  Revision liposuction, especially to the abdomen, is not an uncommon problem patients seem to experience.  This is most likely due to the location on the body and seems to be more problematic around the belly button.  Part of the reason is due to skin elasticity issues and also due to patient selection.  That being said, revision may help the lumps to some extent, but there still is scar tissue present that may prevent a complete resolution of the problem.  I have used a selection of cannulas, the instrument used to suction fat, that are great for improving contour irregularities.  A basket cannula in combination with redistributing the underlying fat has shown great promise for this population of patient.  You can attempt to undergo lymphatic massage, but at some point, it's probably not going to be effective as the tissue continues to heal.  It is best to wait up to a year to revise the problematic area as the scar tissue typically softens and allows the surgeon to better break up the scar tissue and improve the irregularity.  The lumps may be more fat that needs to be removed or is a result of the belly button "holding up" the tissue above thus resulting in a lump especially around the button.  I hope this helps!!

Joel B. Beck, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness is a known side effect

+1

Although technique has much to do with post-op lumpiness, often this is magnified or ensured by the pre-operative condition. You appear to have diffuse fullness around the waist and often this non-localization of fat content and lack of definitive border of fullness lends itself to irregularities. Laxity of the skin that increases with age can contribute to uneveness. Also, not all lumpiness needs to be treated. Some lumps are only palpable or felt but not visible or seen. Unless the lumps are well-defined and significant, it usually pays to wait as long as you can tolerate. Sometimes, a technique using a syringe can be used to selectively remove small quantities of localized fat. I use this technique for the majority of cases, especially those involving small, precise removal of fat.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD