How Soon Can I Have Another Liposuction?

I had liposuction last December. It is already March yet I have not seen any significant changes in my body. Sure, my tummy has flattened a bit but my clothes' size remain the same and the bulges are still there, particularly in my arms & thighs.

This is why I am considering another operation. Is this necessary? If so, how soon can I have another procedure done?

Swelling after Liposuction

It is not uncommon to see significant swelling after liposuction. This swelling can last for months, and is one of the reasons that I have my patients wear tight surgical garments for at least 2 months.

A good way to determine if you still have swelling is to follow your weight after your liposuction. If your weight goes up or stays the same after extensive liposuction, chances are that you are retaining excess fluid. I weigh my liposuction patients during every visit after surgery to follow their water retention. You can consider additional liposuction, but I would wait until the swelling is completely down--at least 8 to 12 months.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

3101 W Coast Hwy
Newport Beach, CA 92663

How Soon to Have Second Liposuction

Thank you for your question. As a general rule, I recommend that my patients wait 3-6 months between liposuction procedures. This way you have the opportunity to do a limited enhancement of the first areas treated if necessary. In addition, you will have fully recovered from the first surgery. By three months you should be seeing some improvement. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

1151 East Paris Ave., SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546

Can do repeat liposuction in 6 months

Wait a full six months before more liposuction.  And go to another plastic surgeon.  This will improve your chances of a better result.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Swelling may still be present.

Generally I advise individuals to wait a minimum of 4 and preferably 6 months prior to undergoing a secondary liposuciton procedure.

Discuss the volume of fat that was remoeved with your intitial procedure. It is likely that you did have significant fat removed but are still experiencing residual swelling.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Liposuction redo

Repeat liposuction can be performed in some instances. This requires a full exam. Uusally I wait at least 6 months or longer to do this.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028