Is Liposuction Necessary when Having Tummy Tuck?

I have had several consultations with different plastic surgeons about having a Tummy Tuck done. Two of the plastic surgeons told me that they would just do the Tummy Tuck, without Liposuction as it can be dangerous if done at the same time. Two other plastic surgeons said that they would do Liposuction to the flanks, and also right under my rib cage, above my belly button. I am really confused! I am going back to the one ps who said he would do both at the same time and ask him more questions about it. I just want to be safe. Is Liposuction really necessary? Or can some area already be tightened with just Tummy Tuck?

Tummy Tuck - With or Without Liposuction

+3

Recent reports state that conservative liposuction with a tummy tuck(abdominoplasty) does not significantly increase the risks to the patient or the flap. This surgery is never necessary and you ultimately have the decision on what surgery is performed.

If your surgeon is recommending liposuction and has the experience performing liposuction with a tummy tuck, I would follow his recommendations.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Is Often A Component of Tummy Tuck

+2

Tummy Tuck surgery typically combines a number of surgical tools. Liposuction is but one of many better surgeons use to help with their sculpture. For my Tumescent Tummy Tuck, the liposuction is an element of my artist's pallet of tools to sculpt the body.

With undermined tissues, liposuction done poorly can increase the risk of tissue loss. When used approprately, it is a feathering tool for the transition zones.

Liposuction is not a replacement for weight loss. Weight loss before surgery is typically better than weight loss after.

Hope this helps.

Michael Bermant, MD (retired)
Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction to the flanks is usually safe with a tummy tuck

+2

In about 20% of my tummy tucks, I also do liposuction laterally to the flank area as this is not treated by the tummy tuck.  The key is to not perform liposuction to areas where the blood flow to the skin of the tummy tuck would be injured and increase the risk of healing complications. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

+2

There are many issues here which are too complex to answer completely in this format but I will try to simplify.

1. Some physcians have concerns with any combination of the procedures and feel that there is an elevated risk of deep venous thrombosis. This, at one time in the past, let the Florida State Health officials to limit performing these combinations to hospitals or surgery centers only; this moratorium has since been lifted.
  2. Many physicians are reluctant to perform liposuction on areas that are lifted during the surgery especially the central and upper portions of the belly. This can cause a compromise of the blood supply and lead to healing problems. Less controversial is liposuction of the flanks (an area that is not lifted). Liposuction of the thighs, arms etc. is generally considered acceptable but does vary among surgeons and may depend on the extent of the abdominoplasty.
  3. Liposuction is generally considered an integral part of mini-abdominoplasty in which the upper and central parts of the abdomen are not lifted up.

This is extremely oversimplified and is essentially a summary of the most relevant points in my opinion. I hope it helps.

Liposuction can be safe with Tummy Tuck

+1

I think each patient is different. Most patients can have some liposuction done at the same time as an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) and liposuction to the upper abdomen is almost always done at the same time. The most important thing is safety for the patient. If I thought that it would be too risky then I would recommend that the liposuction be done at a separate procedure. One way to limit the risk with liposuction is to limit the amount of fat removal and the length of the procedure. I limit all of my procedures to 6 hours for patients that are going home and I get them moving as soon as possible after surgery.

Allen Clark III, MD
Montgomery Plastic Surgeon

Yes and No

+1

I consider myself a conservative and safe surgeon. Yes, liposuction can be performed on that abdominal flap in the superior abdomen at the time of abdominoplasty. However, this does run the risk of injuring the blood supply to the flap and thus increasing the risk of wound healing problems. In addition if the lower part of the flap is not or cannot be defatted than the result is more fullness in the lower abdomen which can give the appearance of an unfinished surgery.

However, liposuction of the flanks is totally safe and has no bearing on the blood supply of the abdominal flap. I aggressive remove the fat from this area which results in a very pleasing waist line.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with abdominoplasty is safe if done correctly.

+1

Hi! It sounds as if you do need liposuction. In New York City, we do abdominoplasty together with liposuction safely all the time. The key is how the tummy tuck is done.

We use a MINIMAL UNDERMINING abdominoplasty technique which does not damage the blood supply to the skin. This makes simultaneous liposuction safe.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction and a tummy tuck

+1

This is a very interesting topic. Textbooks have stated that it is risky to perform abdominal liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck, but recent plastic surgery articles have discounted this. In my practice, I'll liposuction the flanks only with a tummy tuck to help preserve the blood supply to the abdominal skin. The feeling is that extensive liposuction above the belly button could disrupt the blood supply to the skin flap. A little liposuction would probably be fine, but I would be hesitant to perform aggressive liposuction above the belly button at the same time as a tummy tuck. You can always go back later (3-6) months for liposuction after the blood supply has been re-established to the abdominal skin after your tummy tuck.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck with liposuction works fine.

+1

I like to do liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck because it helps the skin advance and makes you look thinner. I have to be careful not to do much in the area above the umbilicus because this is the area of maximum stress. The waist area and front part of the hips are a good place to contour the tummy tuck for a nice results.

The tummy tuck will tighten the skin and the liposuction will improve the contour and transition areas.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with tummy tuck is safe and can add to the result

+1

The reason some of the plastic surgeons you met are concerned about safety with liposuction and tummy tuck is that if done without care particularly in smokers, it can add to the risk of the skin edge dying and this can lead to delayed healing. The good news is that over the last decade tummy tuck techniques have been modifed by many plastic surgeons making the combination of liposuction and tummy tuck much safer and more predictable.

The advantage of combining both techniques is that most patients have both excess fat and skin. Removing the lower abdominal skin and fat alone doesn't thin the upper abdominal or hip roll fat whereas liposuction will. I use fairly extensive liposuction on 90% or more of my tummy tuck patients.

Nicholas Carr, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon