Severe Pain After Liposuction and Tummy Tuck?

I had a full Tummy tuck and Liposuction about eight days ago and am experiencing severe pain. The pain feels like needles are poking me in the stomach and it also feel like electrical shock.

Are the muscles attempting to reconnect? Are the nerves attempting to reconnect? The pain doesn't really hurt it just feels like firecrackers inside my stomach.

Severe pain after surgery is never normal

+2

Pain experienced postoperatively tends to subside after a few days. It may last longer if the surgery was more complicated or combined with other procedures. However, most patients will feel soreness that is worse in a certain position, but improved when they rest and when they take the normally prescribed medication. Every patient has a different threshold for pain and they experience pain differently. Some patients need more pain medication than others.

However, you really really need to see your surgeon. If your exam is normal, then your surgeon can treat your pain and make you more comfortable. If your exam is abnormal and you are experiencing a complication, then your surgeon needs to determine what is causing the problem and how to fix it. This is something that has to be done by an examination, not a phone call. Hopefully this is still within the normal range of healing, but whenever a patient says "severe pain," it is not normal. Good luck!

If there is any concern, then you need to see your surgeon

+1

People experience post-operative healing differently. What feels like tingles to someone may feel like a electricity to someone else. So, without seeing you, it is impossible to tell if everything is okay. In all likelihood, you are just going through the normal healing process. However, if you are concerned, then you should contact your surgeon's office. Good luck with your recovery.

By eight days, pain should be improving

+1

Tummy tuck with liposuction is a major procedure, so having pain is not unusual. However, at eight days your pain level should clearly be decreasing. It almost sounds like you are experiencing some pinching sensation, which could be related to your muscle work. Keep your doctor informed of your concerns and ask if your course is normal in his/her experience.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon right away.

+1

Hi!   In Manhattan, we would not consider "severe pain" 8 days after abdominoplasty and liposuction normal at all. I don't know what is causing your pain, but it should be investigated promptly.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.