Liposuction to Lose Inches After C-section?

Hi, I am 25 years old with two young kids. I want to have liposuction done on my lower stomach to get rid of the fatty tissue. The extra skin doesn't matter. I just want to fit in my pants right and build confidence. I am concerned to have a tummy tuck because I had a painful recovery from a c-section last year. What do you think?

Liposuction, tummy tuck

+1

Before considering a tummy tuck vs. liposuction of the lower abdomen, you need to decide if you will be having any further children. If you are planning to have more children in the future, I would suggest holding off on a tummy tuck for now. If your skin is loose and has stretch marks, liposuction can only improve your shape, but the texture of the skin will be more loose and irregular.

The recovery from a tummy tuck is typically not as painful as that of a C-section. This is because a tummy tuck does not involved any cutting of muscle, just tightening of muscle. Although the pain may be similar, generally speaking, most patients recover sooner from a tummy tuck, as it is less invasive than a C-section.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what the best procedure is for your particular anatomy.

Dr. Bruno

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

+1

The question of tummy tuck versus liposuction really depends on your anatomy. If you have loose abdominal muscles and loose skin, then you really need an abdominoplasty to repair your diastasis (separation of your abdominal muscles) and remove the extra skin. If you have tight abdominal muscles, but overlying fat and good quality skin, then liposuction might work well for you. There is no magic wand - if you need an abdominoplasty, you need an abdominoplasty.

David Shafer, MD

C-section and liposuction versus tummy tuck

+1

Hi, it's hard to say whether liposuction or a tummy tuck will be more effective for you without an examination. However, a tummy tuck is much less painful than a C-section as the muscles are not being cut this time, as they were during your C-section. Both procedures will help you to fit into your clothing better. I would advise you to see a board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss your specific concerns about pain and your goals. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Liposuction is the answer to your prayers

+1

Liposuction should be just fine for what you are requesting. It is easy to go through under local anesthesia, much safer and has a quick recovery time without all the pain and downtime of a tummy tuck. Cost for the abdomen will run about $4500-5000 and is so worth it.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Procedures after c-section

+1

Most patients that have had children have loose skin and weak abdominal muscles.  Yes, liposuction can remove some of the fatty deposits but it won't treat the loose skin and weak muscles like a tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck recovery not the same as c-section

+1

Liposuction will certainly remove localized fat but usually will not tighten skin after pregnancy and caesarian section. Although you state that you are not concerned about this, I sense that it is the painful recovery that is really holding you back. With a c-section, they open the abdomen between the muscles and open the uterus, which is considerably more invasive that a tummy tuck. If abdominoplasties were as painful as c-sections then I don't think anyone would do it! Consider what will be best in the long term.

Some info about tummy tucks here: http://www.breastimplants411.com/dbii/Articles.asp?Article_ID=860.

Richard Baxter, MD

Your thinking is exactly right for Liposuction

+1

Dear Lynnamo

A funny thing happens to many women who have a c-section. They end up with this ugly lump of fat sitting above their c-section scar. Consulting the plastic surgeon, they may have been told that the only way to fix this is a tummy tuck but this is not the case.

What has happened is that during the C-section, the obstetrician pushes up the abdominal fat to smooth and thin out the area of the tummy where the c-section is going to be made. This pushes this fat above the incision. When the incision is sutured closed, the fat is essentially trapped above the scarring making for that ugly mommy pouch. Sure, a tummy tuck will address this, but it is a very big gun for a small issue.

There are good reasons for a tummy tuck. These relate to very poor stretched out skin and weakness in the walls of the abdomen. When these issues are not present, liposuction can flatten the mommy pouch without the disability of a tummy tuck.

These are performed under local anesthesia, so you are awake and very comfortable. This minimizes the drugs. Microcannuals are used which minimizes trauma. Most are able to return to their work out in 2 days. A personal consultation is needed to determine if this procedure is right for you.

Liposuction for losing inches after c-section

+1

Dear Lynnamo,

The 2 operations are NOT mutually exclusive (meaning not an either , or proposition) and work best when they are done for the right reasons.

With liposuction up to 5 quarts or so of fat can be removed safely in a single procedure. Removal of greater amount, depending on state law, may require over night or even longer medical supervision. The operation will remove fat but will NOT tighten or largely flatten a lax tummy from your babies. It will NOT work well with women who are in the higher BMI's of obesity (high 30's) or in the morbidly obese (40 and over) See http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ for reference.

An Abdominoplasty WILL flatten your tummy and remove lower lax skin. Depending on your plastic surgeon, it may be combined with varying degrees of liposuction, especially of the back and flanks.

While I cannot make a recommendation without seeing either you or your photographs, I think you should have this discussion with one of my board certified ASPS members (www.plasticsurgery.org) and see what he / she would recommend. You should ask to speak to previous patients as they have been there and most would love to help others.

Good Luck.