Laser Vs Smart Lipo for Arm Liposuction?

What is the difference between Laser Lipo and Smart Lipo? Is Smart Lipo or Laser Lipo suitable for arm Liposuction?

Laser liposuction uses tiny laser fibers to melt fat and tighten skin

+4

Smartlipo is one of several laser liposuction techniques.

The arms are a very visible, small area with many vital structures. Liposuction of the arms requires small cannulas, delicate technique and good skin tightening for a good result.

Large cannulae and agressive technique in the arms can cause unsightly skin irregularities and may cause injury.

The benefit of laser liposuction (I use SlimLipo) like Smartlipo, SlimLipo, Coolipo and others, is that the laser melts and liquefies the fat so that removal is easier with tiny cannulae. The heat from the laser also tightens the skin which is very important in the arm.

Laser liposuction is very new and not widely practiced yet. It is crucial that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this technique. Many new users are simply not yet experienced enough to treat the arms--there are also many non board certified doctors offering these techniques--avoid them.

Liposuction of the arms.

+2

Hi!

1)  Smartlipo is a type of laser liposuction.  There is no scientific evidence that any of these is an improvement. I personally think it is just a lot of marketing.

2)  We get great results in the arms with tumescent liposuction using tiny cannulas.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Any type of liposuction would be fine.

+2

It is not the type of liposuction that is the question. Choose a doctor with a lot of experience and remember that it is what he leaves behind that counts.

Arm Liposuctions

+2

Smart lipo is a form of laser liposuction. It seems that several laser companies now are all trying to get in the liposuction field and the results are fine but no better than tumescent lipo with the micro canulas which is the safest and cost around $4000 for arms.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Smart Lipo is one form of laser liposuction

+1

There are now numerous lasers on the market for use in conjunction with traditional blunt cannula liposuction. Newer generation lasers are more targeted for fat cells and offer more potential for improvement in liposuction results, in my opinion. Any surgeon who perfroms a lot of liposuction will admit that there is always potential for improvement and I feel that these cutting edge technologies offer the potential for a better result in skilled hands. My advice is to look for a surgeon with experience in the latest technology as at least one of your consults prior to surgery.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

The Arms May be a Good Place For Laser Liposuction

+1

I think any liposuction technique will get you good results, but using the laser may do so with a little less bruising and possibly better skin tightening.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Laser Lipo good for arms

+1

Smart lipo is just a form of laser liposuctiong. Laser liposuctioning including smart lipo are good techniques for the arms. Haven done all the various types of lipo for the arms, they all work. There are subtle differences betwen the various types but you can get good results with all of them.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Be careful with arm Liposuction

+1

Liposuction in the arm only addresses fat and often arm "flab" has a skin component. Just make sure this is something you have discussed with your surgeon before you have surgery. The alternative procedure (Brachioplasty) involves a long scar, so many people shy away from it.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Slimlipo is more effective for those with loose skin

+1

I've tried VASER, Smartlipo, and Slimlipo on patients, and I think the Slimlipo is more effective at tightening skin. The heat damage created by the liposuction appears to cause internal retraction and produces a skin shrinking effect, whereas liposuction alone usually creates cavities within the fat that contribute to hanging skin later.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD