Possible to Work out the Day After Liposuction?

Had lipo to trunk and thighs yesterday. Feeling pretty good today, even without pain medication. Really want to get on the elliptical at a slow pace. Is this ok as long as I take it easy? Prior to the surgery, I worked out 90 minutes a day/6days a week. In very good shape.

Working out after liposuction

+2

Walking at a very slow pace or doing the elliptical machine at a very slow pace most likely will increase your swelling. On the other hand, you don't want to not move around any because of an increased risk for formation of blood clots. I recommend that my patients walk for a couple of minutes once an hour while awake. I think that exercise is only deleterious if carried to the extreme (i.e., jogging 5 miles). However, you will experience more swelling when you overdo it, so I would recommend against doing heavy aerobic exercise.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Walking the day after liposuction is acceptable but strenuous exercising must wait a week.

+2

Recovery is so much quicker now a days with the advent of the tumescent technique liposuctions under local anesthesia but you must still wait a week before exercising.  Walking is encouraged starting the day after the procedure.  Follow your doc's instructions.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Too soon

+1
This is not safe. You should wait at least a week before you start moderate exercise. You can ask your surgeon for their advice, though.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after lipo depends on physical conditioning of the person and anesthesia used

+1

Exercise after lipo depends on the physical conditioning of the person. People who are used to heavy exercise can resume their routines fairly rapidly. Generally exercise which does not make you "jiggle" is OK within a day or two if the liposuction is performed under local anesthesia.

General anesthesia lipo is much harder to recover from. For over 25 years of performing liposuction, I have always recommended walking a day or so after the procedure, and then gradually increasing the intensity of the work out.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Working out after liposuction

+1

I am glad you are feeling pretty good after liposuction but it is not a good idea to work out a day after surgery.  Anything that increases your heart rate or blood pressure can cause bleeding.  Bleeding is not a good thing after surgery because it may lead to hematomas and other complications. Speak to your doctor.

Working out the day after liposuction

+1

I would not recommend this and I doubt your surgeon would. It is best to ask your surgeon because he/she and you will have to manage the problem if one occurs.

No exercise for a week or two after liposuction

+1
To prevent hematomas (collections of blood in the sucutaneous tissues) you should avoid exercising for the first few days after liposuction. If you exercise too soon, the lymphatic vessels might not be able to carry off the swelling and you might contribute to an unsatisfactory result.

Ronald Shelton, MD

It's best to forgo Excercising for a few weeks after Cosmetic Surgery

+1

i agree with Dr. Rand. If you want your surgery associated swelling to come down rapidly, the last thing you want to do is engage in activities which raise blood pressure and as a result, swelling. If you refrain from exercising for 2-4 weeks your results will be a lot better.

Every doctor has their own post op instructions

+1

Every doctor has their own post op instructions, but I would be upset if my patient did that.  I use a compression garment that the patient leaves on for 3 days.  The garment comes off, sutures are removed and they can start exercise at that time. I believe the endorphins released help with pain and discomfort.  I also think the exercise helps diminish swelling, when kept in reasonable amount.  I would give it at least 3 days after lipo, but why not call your surgeon, that's what he or she is there for!

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No exercise for 2 weeks after cosmetic surgery

+1

In my practice I restrict all surgical patients from any activities that elevate their BP and HR for 2 weeks to minimize the risk of bleeding, excessive bruising and swelling.  Check with your doctor but if you were my patient, I'd say "no" to any exercise.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS