My Lower Leg is Hard and Swollen and Painful After Havig Sclerotherapy 6 Weeks Ago

I had schlerotherapy 6 weeks ago. Everything was fine until a few days ago. My leg has a swollen painful lump and it is getting worse. What could cause this? My veins were on the larger size that were treated

Possible superficial phlebitis.

+1

If you had larger veins injected, then these veins could clot from the sclerosing solution.  Usually, however, these veins would clot within 72 hours of the treatment. This is not uncommon after sclerotherapy of the bigger veins.  However,  your problem has occurred 6 weeks later and I would be concerned of a clot in a vein.  There are two kinds of clots-superficial and deep.  Superficial is usually less of a concern and is treated with heat and ibuprofen.  Deep phlebitis is worrisome and requires blood thinners.  You should bee seen by your treating physician today or go to the ER  and undergo a venous ultrasound to make the diagnosis and determine treatment.

Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1

Please see your physician or go to the ER or Urgent Care.  This may be a clot and it should be taken care of immediately. 

Swelling and pain after sclerotherapy -Emergency

+1

Please see a physician immediately to rule out thrombosis. This is a clot formation and can be life threatening.

Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Swollen and painful after leg vein injections

+1

Call your doctor immediately. If it is a small lump it may be localized to one small vessel, it could be a bruise, hematoma but it could be a larger clot with inflammation. If you can't get hold of your doctor you may need to be seen urgently elsewhere, even in an emergency room, to ensure you don't have phlebitis.