Latisse Safety and Pressure in the Eyes?

I have been losing my eyebrows and lashes slowly for years. I would love to use the product, Latisse but I am concerned about the safety of pressure in the eyes. Is it something I would need to get directly from a dermatologist and have regular eye examinations, or is it something I can just purchase online? Thanks.

Latisse and eye pressure

+1

Latisse is applied to the upper eyelid margin which results in little or no product ever touching the eyeball itself. Even if a tiny amount did reach the eyeball, the effect would in fact be to lower the pressure of the eye, not increase it.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse would probably, if anything, lower your eye pressure and not raise it

+1

Latisse is the same thing as Lumigan which is a medication used to treat high eye pressure. Although it is advised not to get Latisse into the eyes, and you shouldn't if applied properly, the most likely effect of getting it into the eyes would be to lower eye pressure and not raise it. This is not to say that it is a good idea to get Latisse into your eye. You might also want to get your eye pressure checked by your eye doctor especially if you have a family history of glaucoma.

There are some eye medications like steroid drops which can significantly increase eye pressure and these are definitely a risk to cause glaucoma. Latisse is not a steroid and does not have this risk profile.

If properly applied to the lid margins you should not get Latisse into your eyes and this issue will not arise. Should you have concerns, see your eye doctor and get your eye pressure checked which is a good idea regardless.

Denver Ophthalmologist

Latisse and eye pressure

+1

Latisse works great for both brows and lashes.  If you use it as directed with the supplied brushes it should not get in the eye or cause pressure changes.  Your pressure can be monitored by your ophthalmologist if you are concerned. 

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.