Can I Use Bimatoprost 0.03% Instead of Latisse?

What is the difference between Latisse and Bimatoprost 0.03%. Can I use Bimatoprost 0.03% from Allergan instead of Latisse? (It is much cheaper and costs in India from Allergan around 15 US$). Has Bimatoprost (although I know that Latisse consists Bimatoprost) more side effects? Thanks

Latisse and Lumigan are the same

+13

Latisse and Lumigan are the same medication in different bottles so they will have the same effect. Having said that,if you are in the United States, especially, I caution you from asking your doctor for a prescription for Lumigan, though, if you do not have glaucoma.

If you are trying to get your insurance to pay for your eyelash treatments, this is a bad idea as your insurance records will be flagged as you having glaucoma treatments. It might make it difficult for you to get insurance in the future, as the glaucoma could be considered a pre-existing condition if you are changing health insurance (or applying for life insurance).

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

You could, but it may not be the strongest

+6

Though you could use Bimatoprost as an alternative to Latisse, you may want to try Travoprost. Travoprost is a related, but slightly different molecule than Bimatoprost that on animals, was shown to be more effective in growing hair. I have seen tremendous success with Travoprost (Travatan) in our patients.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Bimatoprost is the same as Latisse is the same as Lumigan

+5

Bimatoprost is the same as Latisse is the same as Lumigan. Some physicians have been using Lumigan (Bimatoprost) for hypotrichosis or short eyelashes for several years. 

Physicians first noticed the effects of Bimatoprost using Lumigan, which is also sold by Allergan, for the treatment of glaucoma.

Latisse equal to generic Bimatoprost

+5

It is probably the same product with the same benefits and side effects. It should technically be applied to the upper lid. It can promote hair growth anywhere including the cheek, if it falls there. It can also cause hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the skin, change in the color of the iris, irritation, inflammation, redness, and itching of the eyelid skin.

Latisse and Bimatoprost

+3

The glaucoma med and Latisse are the same product, they are just marketed differently.  I do not think that the side effect are any different for either product.

Bimatoprost vs. Latisse

+2

Bimatoprost and Latisse are basically the same Product. Bimatoprost = Lumigan. Lumigan is a prescription drug for Glaucoma Patience. Where Latisse is a prescription for Cosmetic Patience. Although it may be cheaper it comes with a price. Having a Dr. prescribe Lumigan can flag you as having the disease and may cause problems. Problems that are not necessary. Stick with the proper prescription for the proper necessary use.

"Dr.D"

Web reference: http://www.capefearaesthetics.com/details/plastic+surgery-19/

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generic Version of Latisse

+1

Getting a cheaper generic replacement instead of Latisse may seem like a grand idea, but consequences may be more complex if a health or life insurance company were ever to audit your medication list. Technically, they must be bio-equivalent, but practically, you risk being labeled with a diagnosis of glaucoma which may affect coverage determinations.

Lumigan is much cheaper

+1

But doesn't include the best applicator. That shouldn't stop individuals motivated to save $. Officially of course patients should only use medications for their intended use.

Chicago Ophthalmologist

Not a good idea

+1

While the active medications are the same, I would not use the medication that is used for glaucoma. It is always safer to use a medication for its indication. In addition, if you are prescribed the glaucoma medication, many would consider this fraud. Be careful with this.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Latisse is Bimatoprost

+1

The active medication in Latisse is bimatoprost 0.03%. As some other physicians have noted, be careful using a medication which does not have the indication you are using it for as it may label you with a certain disease.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon