Nasal labial folds and flat cheek treatment. How does midface lift differ from fillers? (Photo)

How does midface lift differ from Fillers? Besides the fillers being temporary, do they both give provide the natural look? Does midface lift add volume to my cheeks and flatten the nasal labial folds or would I still need to inject voluma? Now as far as for fillers, if I put voluma, would it flatten my nasal labial folds as well or would I need to use fillers on the folds as well?

Nasolabial folds, fillers and fat grafting

+1
You have nice  bony structure giving you a good base for cheek fullness. There appears to be only mild ptosis (droop) of the cheek fat. I would recommend fillers initially, if this gives you the desired outcome then when the fillers are fading away consider fat grafting as a long term option. This can give you nice cheek fullness and also smooth out the lower nasolabial lines. Good luck

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Nasal labial folds and flat cheek treatment. How does midface lift differ from fillers?

+1
In my opinion, you do not need a midface or cheek lift.  This will lift the tissue up and/or laterally (outside) to the cheek area which will make your face wide and your cheeks overly large.  The lower half of your face is smaller that the upper half...I can not tell if you would benefit from a chin implant (I would need a side view photo).
You may consider adding filler to the front of your cheeks (apple area) and to the nasolabial fold areas. 

Fillers vs. midface lift

+1
As one ages, the malar fat pads descend.  This creates the upper fold in the nasolabial fold.  Fillers can't put the malar fat pad back in its original position.  However, by filling in the groove of the nasolabial fold, the mound created by the fat pad isn't as noticeable.  Filling in the malar area with Voluma helps restore the loss of the malar fat pad.  The effect can be quite pleasing but is temporary.  An endoscopic midface lift repositions the fat pad and is more natural.  The effects are permanent.  Your midface will sag over time, but it will always be higher than if you had no surgery.  There is fullness in the upper part of your nasolabial fold and you are a candidate for the midface lift.  So, the answer is yours to make.  Do you want periodic injections with minimal risks or surgery once with a modest risk (as with any surgery)?  Seek out a board-cerified Facial Plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

David Alessi, MD

Increased Depth of Nasolabial Grooves and Flat Cheeks

+1
Fillers such as Voluma or Radiesse or  cheek implants can be used to improve cheek projection and definition. I would not recommend a cheek lift because you do not have fullness of the lower cheeks. Fillers or fat injection will reduce the depth of your nasolabial grooves.

Cheek lift versus Dermal Fillers

+1
Great question.

I would recommend starting with a dermal filler, such as the ones your described, if you haven't already done so. Juvederm or restylane work well in the nasolabial folds, and voluma for the cheek (malar) enhancement. I use a blunt needle tips for injection of the dermal fillers making the procedure relatively pain free. This filler has the ability to enhance the cheek volume. These products provide immediate results with little or no recovery period needed. The results are very natural. These types of fillers generally last for 1-2 years.

As for the cheek lift, this is done by making an incision along the lower eyelid margin and extending lateraly past the lateral canthus for about 1cm. The cheek fat beneath the orbit is elevated and suspended to a more youthful position. This will likely provide some improvement to the nasolabial folds as well. I would have to evaluate you in person to better understand your anatomy and provide appropriate expectations. Recovery is usually 2 weeks for this type of procedure, and some experience persistent swelling for up to a month.

Bryson G. Richards, MD

Flat cheeks, Midface lift, Naso labial folds

+1
The advantage of a midface lift over fillers is that lower cheek tissues can be raised to the malar area with improvement of the naso-labial folds as well as the tear trough areas below the eyelids. More long lasting results are obtained with a higher risk profile than fillers.
Voluma, Perlane and Radiesse are good volumizers for the cheeks and malar areas with less than ideal longevity and minor improvements to the naso-labial folds (smile lines).
Artefil is a longer lasting alternative which is more costly.
Please consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS