Doctors in Europe Refuse to Use Sculptra, Why Do You Continue To Use It?

Way do you Dr use Sculptra when you know the side effects. It's over with in Europe it been there 10 years shouldn't you learn from them ???

In my opinion Sculptura is an assault on patients and should NEVER be injected into the face

Honestly, I ask myself the same question every day.  Sculptra is made of poly-L lactic acid, the same substance that Vicryl sutures are made of.  Vicryl sutures are great, they handle extremely well , hold a knot phenomenally and absorb over an appropriate period of time.  The problem is that the human body does not like them.  If they are remotely close to the skin surface they will form what is called a 'suture abscess' or 'sterile abscess.'  Most abdominoplasties will have at least one or two sutures spit and recently I had some very annoying vicryl sutures spit in a facelift.  This is with a tiny amount of poly-l-lactic acid.  In these applications it is annoying but generally acceptable when it happens.  To inject a mass of this substance deep into the face is in my opinion absolutely undoctorly!

So why did Sculptra ever get approved...its all about the money.  Companies look at substances that are already approved for implantation ie suture material and in the case of Radiesse, bone cement, another evil.  It short circuits part of the FDA process and money rolls in while patients faces are destroyed. 

When I first heard of the product being used in this manner, I was disgusted and said" here comes another flood of complications."  I am prpoud to say that I have NEVER injected the substance and NEVER will.  The ONLY kind of doctor that can inject Sculptra is one that doesnt think, doesnt see their follow up patients or is just to unethical to care.  Good for you for bringing up this subject that is near and dear to my heart as I see my fair share of patients with atrophied facial fat, deep granulomas, and infections from this product that should NEVER be injected into the face.  To add insult to injury, the manufacturer calls the violent inflammatory response and scaring a "stimulation of your bodies own natural collagen."  You serve other potential patients well for getting the word out.  Good for you!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.