Large Pores and Pitted Scars?

I'm a 32 yr old African American female with a fair skin complexion. I have large pores and what appears to be pitted scars? My texture on my cheeks looks rough and makes me look older. I have done at home TCA peels with some success. I was told by a dermatologist that the little "holes" don't look that deep. Any recommendations for smoothing out the texture and reducing the appearance of the little holes?

Acne scarring and laser resurfacing

+2

The dilated pores and apparaent acne scars do not appear to be ice-pick scars in your photograph. These type of scars that you demonstrate may respond very well to dermabrasion, Fraxel Repair or a series of multiple gentler and safer Fraxel Restore laser resurfacing. Post-operative coloration changes are to be discussed and respected. The risk of new scarring as a result of healing must be reviewed in consultation and there may be merit in peforming a test spot first and wait patiently to see if there is a coloration change that develops from the resurfacing that is disturbing to you. If this test produces a bad coloration, either lighter, or darker which doesn't improve, then you've avoided peforming the entire procedure. The test spot can be done in a more hidden area than on the front of your face. If however, the test area looks good, this does not mean that you are guaranteed not to develop a bad result, as the risk still persists but less than if you failed the test. See a board-certified experienced laser resurfacing expert.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.