When Do the Knots and Bumpiness Disappear from the Injection Area After Sclerotherapy?

It's been 4weeks since my first sclerotherapy, but I feel like knots and bumpiness when I touch the treated veins. my doctor said I don't need more therapy and the the bumpiness will be gone eventually. is it normal? how long will it take to completely gone?

Bumps will resolve with time.

+1

Following sclerotherapy it is not uncommon to develop lumps and bumps in the veins that have been treated. This is due to two reasons-clotting of the treated veins and leakage of blood around the treated veins. Topical heat to the areas and NSAIDS will help to resolve these but lancing the areas with a needle under local anesthesia is an immediate solution. If left alone they should resolve on their own but this could take months. If you are uncomfortable with the lumps then draining them would be the best option.

Naples General Surgeon

Knots and Bumps after Sclerotherapy Injections

+1
Sometimes you can develop bumps after sclerotherapy injection.  These clots are cosmetic in nature and may require you to return to your treating physician for lancing.  This method is best as it will heal faster and lessen the chance of hyper pigmentation.  As always consult with a board certified dermatologist who has a lot of cosmetic experience.

Michele S. Green, MD

Bumps after sclerotherapy should be seen by your doc.

+1

The bumps after sclerotherapy are usually trapped blood between 2 areas closed off.  Your doc will just simply nick the bump and release the blood clot so the bumps go away quicker.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Knots after sclerotherapy

+1

Sometimes, the lumps are from non-threatening clots that can be nicked and extracted. This, when done, can decrease the chance of long term discoloration from the red blood cells and their iron. The lumps in many patients self-resolve without any long term coloration but can take 8 to 16 weeks, sometimes more.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Scar tissue Sclerotherapy

+1

This depends on whether the knots are clots or scar tissue. In the former, they tend to soften after 7-10 days. Scar tissue may take a minimum of 3 months before significant softening ensues.